Anna's Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mneary, Feb 8, 2018.

1. One from today - our resident female Anna's hummingbird, she built a nest in a tree next to our patio :)

D500 + 300 f/4 PF + TC-14e III:

i-zBzPgDD-X3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. vindex1963

vindex1963

Feb 27, 2009
    phoenix
    That's a happy bird right there, great capture.

3. Nice neighbor!

4. Thanks, guys!

Does anyone know why pictures linked from Smugmug always appear much softer here? When I look at this shot in Lightroom, or on Smugmug directly, it is tack sharp. Perhaps it's the 1600 px width limit - it must be upscaling on my Retina display?

Cheers

Mike

5. That is the nature of the beast, we all have the same problem, Some use Flickr that claims to be sharper, some attach the link to the host.

6. What size images do you upload to Smugmug, and what size do you link to the forum?

Very good hummingbird photo. I like the shutter speed which blurs the wings...more like the eye sees!

7. At least I'm not the only one then... Perhaps it's time to increase the 1600 pixel limit for image links?

Thanks, Jim! I shot this at 1/400, f/8, ISO 450.

The image is uploaded to Smugmug at the full 20.9 MP, and then I grab their largest link (other than original) which they call X3Large - 1,600x1,067. Our forum policy limits us to that size, right?

Cheers

Mike

8. I upload at 4096 MP on the longest side, and post 0.7MPix (XL) and that usually looks pretty sharp.

9. Does my image here look sharp to you? How wide is your browser window?

My monitor has 3,840 pixels width, and my browser window is open at almost that size. If I shrink my browser width to about half that size, the image looks sharp (since it is now downscaled, instead of upscaled).

Smart previews in LR have 2,560 pixels horizontally - I wish we could post links of that size here...

Thanks

Mike

10. Yep, your picture does look sharp, both on my 27-inch iMac Retina and 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina. But probably not as sharp as it does on your home computer.

11. Here's one more - this is the juvenile male Anna's Hummingbird that "owns" our front feeder :)

D500 + 200-500 VR at 500mm, f/7.1, 1/320, ISO 900:

i-6cdjkmr-X3.

12. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Wonderful image, Mike!

13. Thanks, Karen! Our birds are cooperating these days :)

14. Mike, that is a truly wonderful shot. Spring is slowly thinking about replacing the grey, dark, wet season up here, so your pictures are a special treat!

15. Thanks so much, Nick! I’m sure it won’t be long now till spring arrives up in your part of the world!

Cheers

Mike

16. I thought the limit here was 1200 and then it gets resized ?

17. I notice the same thing when I post from Smugmug. Not sure what to do about it. I always resize to 1200 px on the long side and post at that size. Beautiful images, no matter what!

18. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Lovely images Mike.

19. They bumped it to 1,600 pixels a while ago, Randy. Think of how many larger images you could haven shown in that time ;)