1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NSFW Anne Brigman - Early Photographer

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by MNglass, Dec 29, 2018.

1. MNglass

MNglass

Dec 7, 2005
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Site is behind a pay wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. As a NY Times subscriber I can see it - fascinating article about a photographer I never heard of.

4. Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring and fascinating article. She was an amazing woman for any time!

5. I had never heard of her either, but she was a very interesting person. Incidentally, these are very tame photographs, hardly worthy of a "NSFW" flag.

What I didn't see, and I admit I didn't read the article that carefully, is any mention of how she got these photographs of herself, sometimes far from the camera, in that early period of photography.

I don't subscribe to the NYT but it let me read the article, even though I was warned two days ago that I had read my last free article for this month (I think they allow 10).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added in edit: the Wikipedia article about her said several of the photos featured her sister as model. So perhaps her sister assisted her in some of the other photographs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. very interesting article. I wonder how many more photogs are out there not recognized. Brigman is clearly in the pictorialist movement what Adams and others railed against in later days founding the f64 group. I find the early pictoralist works quite inspiring when compared against the zillions of megapixels of today's modern marvels.

Thanks for posting the link.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" some of the early lenses had a "v" setting for "Vait-a-minute" self timer" - Georgie Beagle

• Like Like x 1
  7. MNglass

MNglass

Dec 7, 2005
  8. MNglass

MNglass

Dec 7, 2005
    Folks are funny about how they react to nudes. We have a number of etchings of nudes in our house and we've had some folks just find them objectionable displays. A coop that I used to run (no longer involved) recently rejected an artist who did nudes and my reaction was "Where have they been for the past 3000 years of human art?" The NSFW was just erring on the side of caution.

9. Fascinating article. Thanks. Regarding NSFW, remember when the country went nuts over an exposed nipple on the Super Bowl half-time show? And consider the utterly baffling preoccupation with nursing moms. Humans are weird.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Definitely ahead of her time but, like Jim, I wonder how the photographs were actually taken back then. Any explanation, anyone? Were there mechanical delay mechanisms?

11. Very nice photos, had never heard of her.

12. MNglass

MNglass

Dec 7, 2005
  13. Or a current one, for that matter :whistle: :whistle: (n) 

14. "Now you'll feel a little pinch, Mr Smith."

15. :eek: :eek: :eek: 

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. So glad to see this thread, as I had forgotten about her. I was fortunate enough to have seen an original print of hers titled Evictus in the home of a wealthy customer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.