Anne Gets A Little More Intimate With the 24mm f/2 AI-S (with images)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TMR Design, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hello again everyone. As promised, this is the second in a series of three featuring Anne as she bravely steps in front of the camera for her first time to create a gift for her husbands birthday in October.

I give her a lot of credit, not only for posing in very little clothing but for the great job she did having no experience whatsoever as a model.

Please join me in applauding her efforts. Oh, and yes, we can also give a round of applause to the 24mm f/2 AI-S. She's sexy too. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  2. Well Well I like what I see. Nice shots Robert!

3. Lighting is great ...

Once again the lighting is great - I'll echo Jonathan F/2 in saying the only aspect of this shoot I would change if it was to be redone is the vantage point... I would have the camera lower - that would probably extend her legs a little.

Overall excellent full portraiture.

What type of white background did you use?

BTW I love the 24/2 AI-S ... I am now officially on the hunt for one ... And it is all your fault :wink:

4. Beautiful shots!

5. I thought you might Tony :wink:

Thank you.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'm really impressed with your skills ....course she's lovely as well as that lens, uno lighting....;-)))

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Stunning, Robert! You obviously do a great job in making her feel comfortable with herself. So you can't give her all the credit, though, I can see how easy that could be :wink: Did you perform any skin treatment in post? If so, my only suggestion is to maybe take the opacity of that down a tad for the face...but other than that.....WOW! Smashing woman. And I am very glad to see that there is one more series:biggrin:

8. Thank you Dude. I agree with you and Jonathan. I didn't see it as I was shooting and that's my bad. I learn every time I shoot and that is what I learned from this shoot.

I use Savage Super White seamless paper for my high key backgrounds.

9. Thank you very much Sonya.

You're too kind Mark. She is lovely and a real pleasure to shoot.

10. lighting looks great, only nitpick is that I would like to have seen these taken from a lower camera position.. from a lower position she would look taller...
    from this position it makes her look very short...
    just some constructive criticism...:smile:

11. Thank you Francis. I did do some processing on the skin and it's funny you should mention that. Just after I uploaded I noticed that I forget to pull back the opacity of that layer. I just did that and am uploading again.

If anyone gets broken links to images that will be fixed in a moment as I re-establish the links.

12. I'm with Michael and will ad that maybe the 24 wasn't the best choice.
    Model, lighting, everything technical is spot-on great, but lens/angle doesn't do this pretty lady justice... unless of course that is the look she wanted.

Don

13. Thank you Michael. I agree with you and others about the camera position. Doing full length work in my studio has always been a bit of a challenge and sometimes I have a tough time because of the height of the model and the amount of room I have. So a solution that works most of the time is to get slightly above the subject and shoot down at an angle. With a taller model it makes it that much tougher and with the 24mm lens I do see the distortion.

I live and learn. :cool:

14. Yup Don, you're right. She didn't exactly know what she was going for and it was my call. The problem with the size of my studio is that I can't really pull off a full length shot with a focal length much longer than 24mm. A 50mm lens is out of the question, so I'm juggling to make it all come together.

Thank you for the comments and criticism.

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I have the same problem, Robert. That is, if you want to label it as a problem. In your case, being closer to the subject isn't a problem :tongue:. But I can't use anything for full length shots but a wide angle lens. Still very well done, though! Great job.

16. It's a tough one Francis. I've been experimenting for a while and so far the only solution for full length work has been to shoot at a slight angle but in this particular case the distortion seems to be more noticeable. I'm working on some design changes and modifications to the studio in the hopes of improving this type of shot.

These are the times that I wish I had 8 feet more to distance the camera to subject and another 2 feet in ceiling height. :cool:

17. Robert, thanks for the link to this post.

Your lighting and camera skills are superb. I agree with others that the perspective could be redone to better enhance Anne's features.

Personally, I feel that these type shots cry for mood, facial expression, and a sense of commitment. Perhaps the "challenge" look is what you were going for, and perhaps it's just a matter of taste. Not sure how to express this over the internet so it comes out right.

I always felt for these "gift" shots, that the intent of the shot (the seduction, the allure, the submission, whatever) needed to connect from the subject, through your lens, directly to the intended recipient/viewer. Boudoir is so much more than cute girls in skimpy clothing; it's a mood...a feeling...a connection. It's passion. It's love. It's foreplay. :biggrin: It's a moth being lured to a flame. Your camera needs to transfer not only the alluring light of that flame, but the heat as well. That mood needs to be pulled from the subject and that's probably the greatest challenge for the photographer, and I just don't feel that with these.

Again, I hope this is not overstepping some bounds. I think you are better than most at lighting, and you obviously have a great rapport with these subjects. Now draw out and capture the heat.

18. I think you'll all be very happy when you see the third and last series. Different look, not full length, not standing, and shot with a 50mm f/1.4 AI-S, so no distortion.

I anticipate having those images processed and posted in another day or two.

Thank you to everyone for the honest and constructive criticism. As much as I love the praise I also love the process of learning and knowing what other photographers see is an important part of that process.

I respectfully thank you all for helping me as I learn and grow.

19. Not a problem Mike. All good and valid points. This shoot was a tremendous challenge, as she was very nervous and when we were not shooting she was shy and covering up. It was very difficult for her and that made my job that much harder. She was also in a hurry to get her clothes back on and I had limited time with her.

All things considered it turned out ok but all your comments and the comments of others are on the money and I appreciate that. This is a somewhat new area for me and I'm sure I'll make more mistakes but I'll learn from those mistakes.

20. robert
    i like this work a lot
    i fully understand why you are using the 24mm...
    it's NON-typical for portraiture, but.. that isn't necessarily a bad thing

i enjoyed these