Announcement for Nikon Cafe

That to me is the "spirit" of the Cafe. Have an open mind and be willing to entertain some civil dialogue about photos that are posted. You might just be surprised how much you can learn. It's also an opportunity for others to gain some knowledge by following the discussions.

Certainly in my years here at the Cafe, I have learned an awful lot just by reading others' comments and thoughts on someone else's or my own images, and that is invaluable.

If a close-minded-old-phart-opinionated-self-centered-bozo like ME can learn something even though it means I go out kicking and screaming AND I haven't had my tookus booted in 12 years, that must mean something.

Amin has a lot to live up to I think ;)

Amin has a lot to live up to I think ;)

Amin runs this group of forums for stress release from his Day job.

I rebuild lenses and cameras for stress relief, rebuilt 4 of them this past weekend. Last week was stressful, this week- yet to call.

When Amin asks me how to rebuild lenses, we'll know threads like this got to be too much.

Amin setup a new Critique forum and added an account option for members to ask for critiques by default. Solomon could not do better. He also asked the critique discussion to end in this thread. I've offered to give him advice on rebuilding camera lenses. It's less stressful than running a forum.

Bill and I are shirking responsibility on our day jobs--it's so less stressful here than at work :rolleyes::D:p
Yes- but you are a subscribing member, and not the owner:depressed:!

You can (not saying you in particular do) create the incidents:devil:, not have to respond to them:banghead:!

Last edited:
So you would be offended if I asked you politely why you opted for a specific aperture or shutter speed on a photo you posted here if you did not ask for critique? I'm honestly trying to figure out why anyone would not want to engage other photographers in that type of discussion.
No, asking for exif file is not considered subject or style Critique. If you post a photo of a bird, I'm not going to go out of my way to tell you how you can take that photo better, unless you ask me for advise.

So you would be offended if I asked you politely why you opted for a specific aperture or shutter speed on a photo you posted here if you did not ask for critique? I'm honestly trying to figure out why anyone would not want to engage other photographers in that type of discussion.
There is a difference in a query for information and a critique. Asking what F-Stop, focal length, or lens that someone used is a query. Telling them that their image could have been improved by opening up the aperture to narrow Depth of Field and better isolate the subject from a background is a critique.

No, asking for exif file is not considered subject or style Critique

Well, that's good to know. Is it offensive if I ask why a specific aperture or shutter speed was selected? Perhaps you had a vision of this photo using a specific setting like blurring moving water or stopping fast action. Is it overstepping bounds to engage in that sort of conversation?

There is a difference in a query for information and a critique. Asking what F-Stop, focal length, or lens that someone used is a query. Telling them that their image could have been improved by opening up the aperture to narrow Depth of Field and better isolate the subject from a background is a critique.

But certainly you would expect anyone who posts photos in a public forum to be able to have a civil conversation about such matters. How is that offensive?

Well, that's good to know. Is it offensive if I ask why a specific aperture or shutter speed was selected? Perhaps you had a vision of this photo using a specific setting like blurring moving water or stopping fast action. Is it overstepping bounds to engage in that sort of conversation?
Your mistaken talking about a photo with unsolicited critique ... different things.

But certainly you would expect anyone who posts photos in a public forum to be able to have a civil conversation about such matters. How is that offensive?

Do you remember the PLUG? Photo.net circa 2002?

If you did, you would be able to answer this question.

God forbid that anyone post a picture of their Kid on that forum.

And there are many, many users on the Internet and in camera forums that are very uncivil- hence the need for Moderators that can edit, delete, and ban other members.

THIS took some Googling to turn up! From the early days of Photo Forums.

The PLUG rules of Camera Forum Etiquette, or what you could expect flung at you every time you posted in the Photo.net Leica Forum.

1) Thy children are ugly. Do not make us look upon them.

2) Thou shalt not have a photograph entitled "Pop-Pop" in your portfolio.

We know Scooter loves his grandfather, we'd just rather not have to look at it.

3) Thou shalt not photograph thy dog ,nor thy cat, nor thy ***.

(Some dispensation may be got for photographing thy neighbor's ***, we'd have to see it first though.)

4) Photographing in exotic locals does not makeith thou a great photographer.

It makith thou a tourist.

5) Thou shalt not photograph buildings.

6) Thou shalt not photograph statues.

Who do you think you are? Robert Maplethorp?

7) Thou shalt not photograph homeless people.

Leave them alone or buy them food. This pleasith the Lord.

8) Thou shalt not photograph people from behind and call it street photography.

This makith thou a coward.

9) Thou shalt not own stupid Leica gadgets.

This includes a "leica tabletop tripod", a "visioflex", a "NOOKY", a "SOOMP" or anything else that makes your Leica work with all the speed and ease of a 4x5.

10) Thou shalt not brag about the sharpness of thy lens, nor the number of Summicron's thou hast acquired, nor the freshness of thy rear-cap, nor the dinglessness of thy bottom plate.

I think what I'm reading, is that unless specifically requested, positive feedback (critiques, comments, opinions, etc.) is OK; technique and related questions, probably OK; minor suggestions, it depends; major critical review, not acceptable.

THIS took some Googling to turn up! From the early days of Photo Forums.

The PLUG rules of Camera Forum Etiquette, or what you could expect flung at you every time you posted in the Photo.net Leica Forum.

1) Thy children are ugly. Do not make us look upon them.

2) Thou shalt not have a photograph entitled "Pop-Pop" in your portfolio.

We know Scooter loves his grandfather, we'd just rather not have to look at it.

3) Thou shalt not photograph thy dog ,nor thy cat, nor thy ***.

(Some dispensation may be got for photographing thy neighbor's ***, we'd have to see it first though.)

4) Photographing in exotic locals does not makeith thou a great photographer.

It makith thou a tourist.

5) Thou shalt not photograph buildings.

6) Thou shalt not photograph statues.

Who do you think you are? Robert Maplethorp?

7) Thou shalt not photograph homeless people.

Leave them alone or buy them food. This pleasith the Lord.

8) Thou shalt not photograph people from behind and call it street photography.

This makith thou a coward.

9) Thou shalt not own stupid Leica gadgets.

This includes a "leica tabletop tripod", a "visioflex", a "NOOKY", a "SOOMP" or anything else that makes your Leica work with all the speed and ease of a 4x5.

10) Thou shalt not brag about the sharpness of thy lens, nor the number of Summicron's thou hast acquired, nor the freshness of thy rear-cap, nor the dinglessness of thy bottom plate.

Can't say I've ever seen that. I've been on photography forums for a long time, but that predates my participation.

Can't you just move along and hold your tongue if you see a photo you don't like? Why the silly list? Only a troll would bash someone for taking a photo of a building. If that kind of nonsense went on here, I would expect a moderator to step in and put a stop to it.

I am merely trying to encourage civil photographic discourse here. If you wanted no conversation about your photo, why did you post it on an interactive photography forum?

I rebuild camera lenses for a hobby. Some are amazingly rare, one of a kind- custom conversions. I take pictures with them, post on forums like this one. Often with some of the history behind them, and instructions on how to do the conversions.

I've been an amateur photographer for over 50 years. I post for fun.

Amin did not put up a little icon for "please give me advice for rebuilding the lens that I used for this photograph". I would use that one.

Having used the Internet since 1980: it never stops amazing me that there are so many people that just cannot move on without saying something mean.

vvv:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:vvvvv at least until I create a little broken lens icon.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom