Announcement for Nikon Cafe

Real Name
Mike
Why wouldn't a photographer want to be introduced to what might possibly be a new tool to address an issue within a photo?

Exactly! I am always open to critique and constructive criticism, whether I ask for it or not. I have learned more about all aspects of photography from this group, than any other source I've been exposed to.

Yeah, I'm not sure I would be that narrow, there are lots of possible comments without having to impose our own opinions on improving it. :)

But remember, you don't want to run the risk of offending anyone with your comments. Best to play it safe with a bland response. Perhaps we could also allow "Cute Dog" as long as people were commenting on a canine photo! ;)

As with most forums: If a person is offended, they can alert a Mod. The Mod will typically notify the member in a PM that their post was against policy- and politely asks them to refrain making such posts with the member that complained. If it becomes habitual the person typically gets a more stern warning.

If comments are made in a polite/constructive manner- few will complain. A useful/positive suggestion is typically not going to generate an alert to a Mod or a negative reply. Some threads should be without comments on a photo, such as W/NW and threads like the "related Image" threads. Those break the flow.

If one of the side of a brick wall was soft, I usually take apart the lens and reseat the elements. So if I notice one side of a photo of a brick wall with problems, posting that there may be a decentered element is an observation- not a critique. Telling someone they would get less Barrel and Pin Cushion distortion if they switched to fixed-focal length lenses rather than zooms: I've seen such comments start flamewars. I might post a thread comparing images from fixed focal length lenses vs zooms with regard to distortion, some find that useful.

As with most forums: If a person is offended, they can alert a Mod. The Mod will typically notify the member in a PM that their post was against policy- and politely asks them to refrain making such posts with the member that complained. If it becomes habitual the person typically gets a more stern warning.

If comments are made in a polite/constructive manner- few will complain. A useful/positive suggestion is typically not going to generate an alert to a Mod or a negative reply. Some threads should be without comments on a photo, such as W/NW and threads like the "related Image" threads. Those break the flow.

If one of the side of a brick wall was soft, I usually take apart the lens and reseat the elements. So if I notice one side of a photo of a brick wall with problems, posting that there may be a decentered element is an observation- not a critique. Telling someone they would get less Barrel and Pin Cushion distortion if they switched to fixed-focal length lenses rather than zooms: I've seen such comments start flamewars. I might post a thread comparing images from fixed focal length lenses vs zooms with regard to distortion, some find that useful.

Brian, your intimate knowledge of the inner workings of lenses would make for some very interesting threads. I would encourage you to post some of your observations and examples.

But even saying "nice shot", is a critique. Impossible to comment on the photo itself without that comment being somewhere on the critique continuum. Of course you may just comment on the subject as suggested above, "cute cat".

Real Name
Steve
But even saying "nice shot", is a critique.

No, that alone would be an affirmation assuming the shooter liked the shot, maybe perceived as a compliment even (gasp!).

"Nice shot, but..." would be a critique and possibly unwanted.

"Nice shot, I shoot mine like this..."
would be constructive without criticism.

Semantics.

I agree that "nice shot" is not a critique - it's an offhand, not particularly useful comment. However, if a critique is not asked for, saying you like a picture because it depicts an interesting subject, has a great composition and is beautifully processed would not be allowed by forum rules any more than saying the picture isn't interesting, is badly composed and not processed well (with reasons of course):).

Larry

There are many different kinds of shooters in the Cafe. Some routinely produce superb professional work on the order of what Lisa Holloway posts on FM. Others routinely produce competent professional work. Most of us are dedicated enthusiasts who occasionally produce special images. And some members tend to post pretty pedestrian stuff that is hard to critique honestly without running a realistic risk of hurting their feelings - fundamental issues with composition/lighting/post processing/focus/DOF etc. After you are on the Cafe for awhile especially if you frequent some of the image forums (I used to do that - not so much recently) you can get a feel for where someone's images tend to cluster on the technical and artistic axes, and you can try to tailor the comments in that vein, basically like a grading curve.

I suppose an alternative is to say nothing at all, but that in itself can be seen as a critique. If an image had 70 views and no comments you can be pretty sure nobody thought it was special.

I fall into the camp with @Mitchell & @gnagel in that each and every photo I post I post with the expectation that people will provide feedback it they feel its warranted. Unfortunately that does not seem to happen alot here anymore (It did more so when I first joined) the net affect of that was that I stopped posting here because I got views but little else.

Anyone can put anything like that in their sig if they want to do so, and I'm sure nearly all members will respect those preferences if they notice them in the sig. Fwiw, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice yours if you didn't point it out.

Ultimately, most people are not going to indicate it in their sig. I think common sense and common courtesy will take care of the rest of the situations.
Pretty much says it all, "respect", "common sense" and "courtesy".

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
However, if a critique is not asked for, saying you like a picture because it depicts an interesting subject, has a great composition and is beautifully processed would not be allowed by forum rules any more than saying the picture isn't interesting, is badly composed and not processed well (with reasons of course):)

This is simply not true. Find me the rule that states this.

No-one's going to complain if people say positive things about our photos, except perhaps the odd contrarian masochist :D

It's just that not everyone's into self-improvement or character-building. (No thanks, I already got one! :D )

It's OK for people to just enjoy the hobby, and/or improve at their own pace, working things out for themselves.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom