Announcement: Split of people thread.

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Aug 8, 2008.

1. For some time now we have had suggestions to split the People thread and Patrick Bramlett authorized that action this afternoon. The "People Forum" will still be the main forum and the place where informal images of family and others may be posted. The secondary forum "Formal Portraits/Weddings" has been split off and will be the place where formal portraits and wedding pictures may be posted. Formal images (whether taken with special lighting or not) should be posted in this forum. It will take a day or so to transfer some of the more formal images to this new forum.

You may begin posting your formal people images in the new forum from this point forward.

2. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Maybe I'm a knuckle-head, but I don't see the new forum anywhere??

3. Click on the "People" forum, and then look at the top of the headers. You'll see it located inside.

4. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Doh, thanks!

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I am disappointed in this action. :frown:

The found portrait can be just as compelling as any staged model shoot. Its a shame to call them family snap shots.

I won't be categorized.

6. Charles, I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from. Portraits can be of any age group from child to senior citizen. The determination of where the image belongs is up to each photographer to decide. Some may belong in the informal family/other forum or the more formal portraiture/wedding forum but you will be the one to make that determination. There is no requirment in the new forum for studios or lights to be used so where is the beef (so to speak)? The images that were moved into the new forum by me were simply some of the recent shots that were taken and were in no way meant to be all inclusive or exclusive. It was simply done to give the new forum a start. If someone feels that their image should be in the new forum or moved out of the new forum just let me know and I will be glad to accomodate you. Your work is outstanding Charles so either forum for any of your images would be appropriate. You are the arbiter of your own images.

If you have suggestions, send me a PM and while I can't guarantee that you will get your way I can assure you your comments will be heard.

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Gordon,

Are you telling me that no new image post will be moved? I find that unlikely since that is why the forum was split.

A few cried that they had to "NOT" click a thread with a few family snaps and now there is a separation. While I agree that the people forum is not what it once was its not just because there are more snaps. Many of those who have the knowledge stopped offering suggestions for improvement. While I have no vast knowledge I am guilty of this as well.

Separating them will only increase the divide. Personally I feel that some of the snaps are more compelling portraits than some half dressed woman with a lot of makeup.

If the moderators move images then they are being the judges.

8. Yes Charles, I am telling you that no NEW images will be moved arbitrarily by a moderator. The forum was split so that the members could decide where an image should be posted (formal or informal). If someone wants me to move one of their existing images from one forum to another, all they have to do is let me know and I will do it.

I agree that some of the family images are more compelling portraits than some half dressed woman with a lot of makeup as well. That is why they can post this compelling image in the new forum if they want to or they can choose to post it in the informal family/other forum if that is what they want to do.

Think of it this way; each member can decide for themselves (with no interference from a moderator) where their image can be posted. I mean come on there are two forums and they are a click away from each other. No one is excluded from either forum. If we are talking about some of your excellent images that you would like to see in the formal forum, just tell me which ones and I will move them.

On a going forward basis this will all work out and each members images will be posted in the forum they want, why, because that is where they posted them.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Gordon,

I will wait and watch, but I really don't see how this is going to work if the moderators don't move images. Perhaps it will police itself.

I don't care about where my images are placed. I post just show that I am still here. :smile: You won't see my commissioned work posted here or any other forum.

10. We really have hope that it will self policing but in any event the mod's won't police it. My experience with this type of thing is that the comments from the membership will help folks with the policing. Actually policing is probably not the right word, a gentle nudge would probably be better.

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Ok

I have no issue with moving the images around when first starting a forum. You have to get some content in there to lead the way. That I understand.

Self policing is the only way this can work.

I wonder why a "glam" forum wasn't created instead since they seemed to be the ones complaining. Its not my site so it doesn't matter.

For now I will watch and wait to see what happens with this.

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok I am one that does not like this new format. But that's JMHO - FWIW .

13. I beleive that there is too much grey area for example I took some shots at the anime convention, but I posed them tried to use the lighting as best as I could and did a lot of PPing. I am not sure where they should be posted cause they are not just a snapshot. Just my .02's

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Whilst I don't personally do much people shots, I can't quite see the need for the split and agree with Sen.

15. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth. The formal (for lack of a better word) images were never the problem. I will also call these high end pictures. They could be posted in whatever of the two forums you would like to post them in. Where the problem came in was when there was only one forum and these images were being overwhelmed with informal family snap shots. Please understand that from my perspective there is nothing wrong with this type of shot but I do understand that not everyone wants to look into your family photo album. This gives them the option of just perusing one of the two forums. For those that do like the informal shots, it is a simple matter to peruse both forums. This also allows all of your posted images to stay on the first page longer no matter which forum you post them on. Where you post them is strictly up to you.

Mike your images at the Anime Convention were excellent and I saw that you split them up and posted some in each forum, that is certainly acceptable. The only thing we don't want to do is to post the informal snapshot in the Formal Portraiture/Wedding Forum. Based on the comments we have received I think that many really like to have the Wedding pictures and Fashion Photography images in a more formal forum.

16. Seems like a lot more work for you guys Gordon for people that simply cant not click on the threads they dont wish to see. :rolleyes: I dont pay the bills so I keep my mouth shut unless someone is needlessly bashing other members.

Nonetheless, thank you Gordon, Dave, Gretchen and all the rest for the hardwork and keeping this forum my favorite place on the web.