Annual meeting of the society of assassins

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PGB, May 6, 2007.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Greetings folks. Its been quite a while since I've authored a thread here on the cafe. Real life caught up with me. I've been in the midst of moving my business and the past month or so has been really trying on myself and my family.

I've missed you all and actually had the opportunity to take a few pics today. That was, after I located my camera gear. :tongue:

I was out in the backyard looking for some small stuff to take snaps of when I walked past a tree with some very tiny orange spots on it. Upon further investigation I noticed a group of Assassin bugs nestled under an opening in the tree bark. The opening was no more than three inches across, the bugs were very tiny.

Assassin bugs are from the Family Reduviidae. According to The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects they get their name from the way they attack and send sharp stabs to thier prey. The sharp beak is used to pierce and suck out the fluids of their victims. I know, gross!!!

Here they are. Its been a while since I have operated the camera so I'm a bit rusty. Plus, these guys were only 12-24mm long.

Setup Nikon D2x with 200f4 micro, tripod, cable release, silver reflector to direct light into the crevase of the bark.

Group of Assassins in their lair.
    [​IMG]

An assassin emerging from its previous exoskeleton (I think!!!) There were several exoskeletons on the bark that were obviously abandoned. I happen to see this one emerging.
    [​IMG]

It was suspending itself from the tree hanging upside down.
    [​IMG]

Continuing to emerge
    [​IMG]

STRETCH!
    [​IMG]

Finally out of that cramped skin
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Any comments are welcome.

With many regards,

2. Glideslope

Glideslope

Feb 8, 2006
    NY
    Very interesting creatures. Your description reminds me of a day at the office. :cool:

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Downright creepy! Makes me itch just to look.

But very nice macro technique Patrick. Oh, and welcome back to the world of the living!

4. Oustanding series on a fascinating bug species! Very well done.

5. I will probably be thinking of this when I try to go to sleep tonight Patrick. Neat images and I am sure they were not easy to take with the circumstances you were working under. Glad your move is over and you can get back to photography.

6. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    For all the cool things the south has to offer........

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent series Patrick
    Glad to see you.

8. Assassin bugs...huh? I wondered if you weren't referring to the contractors who prepared your new spaces? It's great to have you back among the living.

:tongue:

9. ...uh, maybe this belongs in Photojournalism.

Nice series, Patrick.

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Tell me about it!!! Thanks for looking.

Thank you Chris. Its nice to be back.

Dave, Thanks for looking. They are very interesting creatures. There is such a large world when you look in the smallest places.

Thanks for looking.

Gordon, thanks! They are pretty weird and scary looking up close.

How have you been? I hope you and the family are doing well. Thanks so much for looking.

Great to see you too Gale. Hope you have been doing well.

Many regards

Jim, thanks for looking. Ha, you might be correct!

Cheers,

11. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Pat,

We're doing great. Glad to see you back. Hope everything works out for you and the new site.

12. Patrick: all I can say is, WOW!!!! You have done wonderfully with capturing these images! "Assassins?" <Shudder> That was fascinating, the emergence of one from the exoskeleton.

Welcome back!!! :smile:

13. Nice to see you back "on the horse".

Nice story, only thing missing to make it a blockbuster might be a victim :Crunk:

Nice color, was that with the 200micro?

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Great shots and mean looking bugs!

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

16. After all this time and your comeback is with ... assassins... :eek: :biggrin:

Great macro work Patrick! Did your reflector bounced natural or flash light?

17. Amazing shots!

But something about them really bugs me!

18. :rolleyes:

19. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks Connie. It was neat I didn't realize what it was doing at first then noticed the other empty exoskeletons in the area of the opening on the tree.

Thanks for looking,

Michael,

Yes this was with the 200f4 micro. I'm sure they were going to set out for some evil doing later. :smile:

Tell me about it. I had the crawly feeling all night. Very creepy.
    Thanks for looking.

Thanks paul! It was neat seeing them all bunched together for sure.

Panos,

I've not had good luck with flash doing macro work. I used the reflector to bounce sunlight into the crevase of the bark to illuminate the subjects.
    Thanks for looking!

HAHA! They are pretty creepy for sure.
    Thanks for looking

20. All I can say is wow and I have the creepy crawlies right now. Yikes!! Welcome back Patrick. I am so glad to see that you and the 200 micro are venturing outside again. Yikes again...my skin is really crawling. Excellent captures. :eek: