1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Annual Photography Book

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by gnagel, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Every year, I create a book (using Blurb) that contains a collection of my favorite images throughout the year. During the last two years, I limited the collection to just one of my trips during that year. For this year, the book covers my road trip through Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

Earlier in the year, I went to Iceland. And, just before my long road trip to Newfoundland, I visited Cincinnati. It was very tempting to include some pictures from those other two trips, but in the end I decided to let the book have some focus (no pun intended).

Anyway, here's a preview of the draft:

A Look Through My Lens: a collection of photographs from 2018

I usually print a few copies of the book...one for my bookshelf and a couple for holiday gifts for family members. Knowing that I am going to create a book each year also gives me a little more motivation to get out there and shoot!

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 5
  2. Great diversity of beautiful images! Thanks for the reminder of how publishing/organized documenting can inspire to “get back out there”.

3. Impressive! What a nice gift to your family.

4. A really wonderful series of photos. I think if you push yourself to do the work to make the book it makes you a better photographer. Thanks for sharing the shots.

I really like the puffins....

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"books are a lot of work. Great work Glenn" - Georgie Beagle

5. Enjoyed looking at your creation(s) Glenn. This is something I have always wanted to do but have never taken the leap. Are you happy with your source for the book?

6. I enjoye looking at your photos again.

7. Thanks Don...I think sharing photos is any variety of ways helps to motivate me to shoot more. At one time, I created calendars, but nobody seems to use paper calendars any more!
    Thanks Bill...hopefully they enjoy the books! In any event, they still get their regular holiday gift besides the book.
    Thanks...the puffins were the highlight of my trip!
    Thanks Carl...the software that Blurb offers makes creating a book quite simple. It seems hard to believe, but I created this book in a single morning! Part of that is getting a process down. I export the images that I think might be included into the book from Lightroom into a separate folder. From there, I upload them into Blurb's software. Then, it's just drag and drop after selecting the desired template for each page.

As far as quality, I have been pleased with the binding, paper and print quality. I usually order a premium paper.
    Thank you, Allan

Glenn

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Louis...much appreciated.

Glenn

9. Glenn, this year's book is excellent. I love the variety, and yet you held it all together as a travelogue of your lengthy road trip. I think you were wise to limit to scope to that one trip.
    I make these types of books often. I like your layout selections. My wife prefers full bleed photos which give the page a lot a drama but leave no room for any text or narration. It's a point of contention between us as she prefers the photos take center stage.

10. It's absolutely wonderful, Glenn. Every photo is perfection!!

11. Thanks Mitch...I can see both points of view. I suspect that when I flip through this book many years from now that I will value the narrative more. I will likely forget many of those details.
    Thank you, Terri...much appreciated.

Glenn

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Simply georgeous photobook, love it!
    Glenn, may I ask what (pixel) dimensions you recommend the images for such a photobook, please?
    I had a quick look at Blurb but didn't find such details (so a URL would be fine, too)
    Thanks in anticipation.

13. Thanks Pawl...

I use Blurb's BookSmart software. Once you download the software, it's easy to select a book format and then to also select from various templates for each page.

My book is a 13x11 landscape book. When you select a template, there's an area on the page to simply drag and drop a picture into the box. The box will indicate the ideal dimensions in pixels. Each box can be different...depending upon the template and the size of the box on that particular page. If I recall, most of the larger pictures in my book are best shown at something like 2,800 pixels across.

I export all of the pictures for the book from Lightroom and set the dimensions at 3,000 pixels on the long side. That way, I am minimizing the downsizing that might occur within Blurb...but also not having to change the dimensions for every single picture if the sizing is different for a certain page.

I hope this helps...
    Glenn

14. Thanks so very much for sharing this.

15. I haven't taken the time to look at Glenn's book, but want to mention that software for making Blurb books is built into Lightroom's Book module. Indeed, though I get Lightroom included as part of my Photoshop CC license, I use Lightroom only for submitting books to Blurb.

If you don't have a pressing deadline, get a book ready whether using Blurb's software or Lightroom. Then wait for a sale from Blurb offering the price at a 40% discount.

16. Thanks Rolf
    I really should check out the Book module inside Lightroom. I've been using Blurb's BookSmart software for years...so I've been hesitant to change since I know that I can create a book quite quickly with that familiar software.

That's a great point about the 40% discount. Most years, I wait for that. Other years, I get anxious and order for a lesser discount. This year, I waited for the 30% discount plus free shipping. But, nobody should play full price!

Glenn

17. Perhaps I can help minimize the marital discord. :ROFLMAO: 

Before making my first book, I reviewed a substantial tutorial about considerations to take into account and one of the topics was about when to use a full bleed. If that tutorial was accurate, traditional wisdom is that full bleed is best with landscapes, city scapes and the like and that no bleed is best mostly with portraits. That made sense to me at the time and still does. Many times for the sake of uniformity, I'll use no bleed on all types of images in a book though I've never used full bleed on all types of images.

You can have it both ways with regard to providing a narrative with full bleed layouts if you provide the narrative at the end of the book, such as in the form of an index. The narratives can be listed in the order of the page number where each image is displayed. You could even provide a thumbnail image along with the narrative, which might eliminate the need for the reader to return to the large image provided earlier in the book.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. That's an excellent reason in my mind for not making the change to Lightroom. It sometimes takes considerable time to learn new software, so why make a change to new software if your existing software meets your needs?

Another consideration is that Blurb makes changes to their software that sometimes don't make it into Lightroom for months later. A recent example is that books that lay flat were made available quite awhile ago using Blurb's software, yet that capability didn't make it into Lightroom until quite recently.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Glenn, this year's book is fantastic. Strangely enough, the photo of the coal burning generating station on pg 23 sparks my interest. I spent 36 yrs working at a generating station in Chesterton, IN. Thanks for posting your book.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.