1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Annual Spring Shoot on the Eastern Shore of Virginia

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by MParker, Feb 14, 2014.

1. It's time to start planning for the annual spring shoot on the Virginia Eastern Shore. For those of you who might not know, there is a group of Cafers from the mid-Atlantic region that get together each spring and fall for a long weekend of photography on the southern end of the VA Eastern Shore. It involves sunrises, sunsets, landscapes, birds, wildlife, waterscapes, fun, and good food.

This year I'm proposing that we meet in the usual place, Cape Charles, on April 24-28.

Let's begin a list of those that are interested. If you are please post here or send me a PM.

A draft proposal of some things we can see and do will follow in a week or so.

For new members and for those of you who have been to either of the two shoots in the past but did not join us in the Hudson Valley this past October, we have some news. That trip and the one in Oct 2012 was so successful that we agreed, by acclamation, to replace the fall shoot in Cape Charles with a Hudson River shoot each October, at least for a few years. Stand by for news.

2. Bruce_T

Bruce_T

Jan 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Definitely interested! I may or may not be able to attend - depends on life outside photography - but please keep me in the loop.

3. Mike,

Looking forward to another shoot in CC. Count me in.

4. I was checking the Cape Charles events calendar and saw that the Blessing of the Fleet will take place on Friday 4/25 at 5:30. I remember everyone enjoyed that the last time we were there. I would suggest that we try and attend that once again before the sunset shoot. Hopefully the Navy will have another ship in the harbor this year.

5. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    I'll be there!

6. Sorry, guys, doesn't look as though it's in the cards for me this time around, but I'll follow this thread and be interested to hear how it all goes, anyway!

7. We'll put it on the agenda.

8. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Sounds good!

So far we have the following:
    MParker (Mike)
    KristinB
    Jeff A
    SLRShooter (Norm)
    Victor Shilo
    jryoung1947 (John) & Sandra
    GreyBeard (Dave)

9. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like fun, guys. Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately), with two little ones at home now, I'm limited to one trip per season, and the silk mill is it for me. I will be thinking of you all and CC this spring, though!

10. Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Feb 18, 2012
    Rockford, IL
    Logic 7 and I are interested. Could someone send some details? Lodging options, etc????

11. There are a few lodging options in the Cape Charles area. My wife and I have stayed at the Baywood B&B a few times and it is very nice, clean, reasonable and right on the bay. The Baywood is about 15 minutes South of the actual town and harbor. There is the Hotel Cape Charles located right on the main street in town. There is also the Rittenhouse Motor Lodge which is about a mile or so just out of town on Route 13. The Rittenhouse is very retro (1950's style motel). The Sunset Beach Inn is located South on Route 13 near the Baywood. Between there and Cape Charles there is also the Shore Stay Suites.

The shoots are pretty laid back. We try and do a sunrise and sunset shoot each day at a different location. That involves getting up well before first light and trying to be set up well ahead of sunrise. During the day, some people walk around the town and harbor capturing images. Some go out exploring looking for old barns and abandoned buildings to photograph. Some take mid day naps. We are always on the lookout for new spots and Mike Parker is most familiar with where and when the best times to visit different will be. We try to cover landscape, wildlife and general street photography during the shoot. Obviously, the weather determines what, when and where as usual.

12. Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Feb 18, 2012
    Rockford, IL
    Thanks, Jeff. We are looking into schedules, etc.. to see if we could join you all for at least some of those days.

13. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Martha, besides the lodging options Jeff mentioned, a number of us have found renting a house to be a cost-efficient option which also affords us the ability to be in town, close to the beach and shops - the entire town is six blocks square, so it's very walkable. The Hotel Cape Charles (which is a relatively new boutique hotel that replaced the previous hotel in the same location a few years back) that he mentioned is right on the main street. Two houses that you might find of interest (people from our group can both personally recommend from using in the past) are Kenmar Cottage and The Heron House. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about renting houses in CC. Other logistical details: Mike usually hosts dinner on Thursday night as people arrive, I usually make lasagna and some other dish for a group/potluck dinner at my rental house on Friday, and we do a restaurant dinner on Saturday. There is a great coffeehouse in town called the Cape Charles Coffee House that we usually frequent after sunrise, and a place called Kelly's Gingernut Pub that is a good lunch location. But we often are farther afield and not in town for meals.

14. Have they installed elevators in the new boutique version of the Hotel Cape Charles? I remember that was an issue in past years.....

Doing the rental house thing is loads of fun -- I've got some fond memories of the times I participated in that!

15. Kristin thanks for the rental info. Both places listed are already rented for that time.

16. oh man, I've been dreaming of another trip up there - BUT I'll be in New Orleans the same weekend - and that's as photographer/chaparone for 199 band kids. I loved it up there back in 2007 and hope someday to make it back up there. Ya'll post a ton of pics for me - PLEASE!
    Mike if you'd like some Community Coffee, just say the word!

17. Hotel Cape Charles is too

18. remember the leaky roof? But oh we all had so much fun!

19. I sure do remember that leaky roof! All of a sudden we look and water is dripping down from the ceiling right on to the table where a lot of our gear was! Man, did we hustle to get those cameras, lenses and other stuff off the table in a hurry!

Oh, and was that the place where the doorknob came off in someone's hand?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.