Critique Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church, Homer Glen, IL

It was cold and rainy yesterday, so I visited an interior space located just a couple of miles from my home. This is the Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church in Homer Glen, Illinois.

The priest leaves this church open all the time...and it is often unattended. When I entered the church, I was the only one on the grounds. After shooting for 30 minutes or so, I noticed that the lights were dimming. The priest had entered the sanctuary and turned off the lights--not knowing I was there.

When he saw me, he started apologizing for turning off the lights! He then asked me exactly how bright I wanted the chandeliers as he could adjust the dimmer (I didn't have access to that area).

The amazing thing about this interior is that this priest painted the entire space. Every inch of this church is covered with artwork...including the entire ceiling. And, he did it all himself!

In addition to the photographs I captured yesterday, I have included a couple of the exterior from prior visits:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Real Name
Tony Saya
Unbeleivable Art Work by the priest and wonderful photography by you. Just wondering how long it took the priest to do the painting? Thanks for posting Glenn!

Unbeleivable Art Work by the priest and wonderful photography by you. Just wondering how long it took the priest to do the painting? Thanks for posting Glenn!
I was just reading some information on the church's website...and apparently the priest had some assistance with the murals. It says that he started the work in 1999...doesn't indicate when he finished the work. But, the church opened its doors a year later.

Thanks, Glenn

What stunning work! Truly beautiful! It reminds me of a Serbian Church we visited in Solvenia. Similar painting style and subjects. I really apprecaite images 8 and 9 in addition to the images showing the elaborate interior of the church.
The Serbian Church certainly features similar artwork. These are the kind of images where I am not even tempted to make B&W conversions!

Glenn

It is reminiscent of Eastern European churchs (generally those in the Orthodox tradition). Really impressive photos of impressive artwork.

Very similar church art work to Ukrainian Catholic Churches. I admire the priest's - and other's - skill, art, and passion to create these beautiful images.
Thanks Bohdan
It is reminiscent of Eastern European churchs (generally those in the Orthodox tradition). Really impressive photos of impressive artwork.
Thank you, Dermot
Fascinating images and narrative!
Thanks Mike
You have outdone yourself, Glenn....beautiful work by the priest!
Thank you, Don

The priest mentioned to me that a lot of photographers visit the church. He also said that he finds that nearly every photograph that's captured of the interior has blown out reds. Well, he didn't say it exactly like that...he said the reds were almost always overdone.

I asked him if he thought those pictures looked "cartoonish"...and he said that would be accurate. I promised him that I would do my best to present realistic colors.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom