Another 180 Nikkor thread

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Shiny, May 2, 2007.

1. Shiny

Shiny

May 1, 2006
    London, England
    Well, you know how it is when you wonder whether you should buy it or maybe not and whether you can find a good used one or justify it........and then you find one on ebay and its delivered ! :smile:

I took a couple of quick snaps at f2.8 just to check out the bokeh and so far, so good. They're just test shots, but I'm impressed with how well they sharpen with about 30 seconds of PS effort. Can't wait until the weekend to get out and use it some more !

http://www.pbase.com/stevemurrayphotos/image/78127922.jpg

and

http://www.pbase.com/stevemurrayphotos/image/78127953.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  2. Nice pics. You are brave to use it for flowers.

3. Very nice!
    The 180/2.8 is one of the two Nikon lenses that have never disappointed me. I love it!

4. I think you're going to love that lens. Looks like a keeper.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats Steve...a bargain lens from Nikon and no doubt one of their sharpest...so far so good...;-))

6. May I ask what is the other lens?

7. ...The other lens is a bit of a surprise (for me too). It is the 60mm micro. It lives at the back of my cupboard and I was only using it when I wanted to shoot an item for selling it. But from time to time I was shooting something else too, a portrait, a landscape, and when I was checking the photos it always was the 60mm that was delivering the best results!
    Now I know what it can really do, but I still do not use it as much as I should. I am getting there though...:biggrin:

8. Shiny

Shiny

May 1, 2006
    London, England
    Yes, I agree, it balances well on my D200 and it feels good to use a fixed focal length sometimes instead of a zoom

9. The 180 always seems to come through for me as well.
    My current AF 180 is a $99 beater, but it performs as well as the others that I've owned.
    Here are a few from today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While nothing to speak of compositionally, the images show me that my existing equipment is good enough and will stave off any immediate spending on additional glass. K.I.S.S. for now.

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow Glenn,,,these r fantastic!!!

11. Hey Nute... The 2 candid portraits you posted on DPR are really superb.... And Glenn, you have done the 180 proud with IQ like this... Great stuff...

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Wally ....;-))

13. TY, Nute and Wally.
    The 180 is a relatively old and simple AF design, but the glass is superb. And I just love its portability vs. the 70/80-200 zooms.

14. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    I am a big fan of this lens also. I don't remember whether it was Uncle Frank or Edward Neal who drove me to buy it but I love the size and the quality.

15. Stephen,

If it was UF who got you thinking about the 180, then we have a slight connection.
    I sold my second copy to UF. He's quite the happy camper with it. :smile: