Another 55-200mm VR Sample

Discussion in 'People' started by Gr8Tr1x, May 6, 2007.

1. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I got my haircut this afternoon, and since I don't like leaving my gear in the car, I brought it in with me. I offered to take my hairdressers picture (and I got a free shampoo out of it). This lens isn't too bad....

Bummer that I left it on ISO 640....but otherwise it seems sharp.

[​IMG]
    Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D200
    Exposure Time 0.0166s (1/60)
    Aperture f/5.0
    ISO 640
    Focal Length 55mm (82mm 35mm)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  2. That's odd... I never heard of this lens. This sure is a sharp image! Looks great ISO 640 or not.

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

The 55-200mm DX is the long tele-zoom kit lens. Samples from it that I have seen were not that great. Nikon just announced the new 55-200mm DX AFS VR at PMA in March. They are trying to offer low, entry level options to compete with the in body stabilization of the competitors. I like that its able to focus closer than the other 70-xxx zooms and its a bit wider.

I snagged this at the camera to see if it was any good...and so far, I'm impressed...it was only $249.

You can see another post I made about it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. amadorcity

amadorcity Guest

Great Image

Nice capture. It seems a bit inexpensive for a VR lens.

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Maybe they;re losing money on it...sort of a loss leader so people Dont buy Sony , Pentax or Olympus....I don't even think Canon has something this inexpensive.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

man that's a "cheap" lens ...would like to see more from it, ....the bokeh etc etc ...;-)))

7. I picked up the new 55-200mm VR to use with "the Baby" (D40) and am pleasantly surprised at the quality. Sure, this lens isn't going to be any match for my 70-200mm VR or the 70-300mm VR, but it is handy to carry in my bag every day along with the D40's kit lens (18-55mm) in lieu of a P&S.

8. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I agree....for $250 this is as much as a bargain as the aforementioned 70-300mm Vr (which I also own). It's small and lightweight....hmmm, maybe I'll plop it onto the D50 today and see how it goes...

9. Looks pretty good to me... Why is this lens NOT listed on NikonUsa's website?

10. Forget the lens, the lady is gorgeous.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Should be...under the DX lenses...

12. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

She was hesitant at first, saying she didnt have any makeup on. Check those teeth too...perfect as far as I'm concerned...and No, I didn't 'shop' those choppers.

13. Doh!! I guess that's why I missed it. I was looking in the VR section... Thanks.

14. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    First I've heard of this lens. Sounds like a bargain.

Free shampoo huh? I don't think they even have shampoo where I get my hair cut!:smile: They give a heck of a straight razor shave though!:eek:

15. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Aside from my 50mm 1.8, I don't think I've ever bought a lens that was this inexpensive...even used!

My intial impressions are favorable.

16. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I can see why. That shot looks purty darn good to me.......

17. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks Stuart. I have some other thoughts on the lens Here and here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017