Another Beautiful Morning in the Fen

Real Name
Mike
Just as the title says.....
(C & C most welcome)

1. Pale Touch-me-not or
Yellow Jewel Weed

yellow%20jewel%20weed-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Spotted Touch-me-not or
Orange Jewel Weed

jewel%20weed-X2.jpg

3. Field Garlic

field%20garlic-X3.jpg

4. Obedient Plant

heal-all-X3.jpg

5. Prairie Dock

prarie%20dock%202.jpg

6. Ladybug Beetle on Jerusalem Artichoke

lady%20bug%20on%20jerusalem%20artichoke-X2.jpg

7. Eastern Joe-pye Weed

eastern%20joe-pye%20weed.jpg

8. Asiatic Dayflower

asiatic%20dayflower.jpg

9. And, just in case anyone wants to know where the spiders are in Ohio....

spider%20map-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Well done, Mike. My wife, who is a bit of an amateur expert on wildflowers, agrees with all of your IDs except the Jerusalem artichoke which she thinks is a golden crownbeard.

Your last image and caption gave us both a chuckle.

Real Name
Mike
Well done, Mike. My wife, who is a bit of an amateur expert on wildflowers, agrees with all of your IDs except the Jerusalem artichoke which she thinks is a golden crownbeard.

Your last image and caption gave us both a chuckle.
Thanks Jim. I've never heard of Golden Crownbeard and looked it up. It is not generally found in this area. It also has opposite leaves and this plant has alternating leaves. I ID'd it as Jerusalum Artichoke because that was my first impression. There is a lot of it in this area. After re examining my images, I'm more inclined to call it Wingstem which is similar to the Crownbeard. I guess I won't know for sure until I get back out there. Ask Mrs. Jim what she thinks about the Wingstem.
Very nice collection, Mike. The jewel weeds are really thick around here this year -- must be a result of all the rain.

Thanks for the spider map -- I wondered about that:LOL:
Thanks Bob. The Jewel Weed is just starting to come on around here, even in the wetlands. I don't think I've ever seen a growing season like this one. Everything seems to be coming on early or later than normal.
Beautiful series, Mike! My faves are #1, #4, and that little ladybug in #6!
Thanks dossy! The Obidient Plant was a new one for me.

Thanks Jim. I've never heard of Golden Crownbeard and looked it up. It is not generally found in this area. It also has opposite leaves and this plant has alternating leaves. I ID'd it as Jerusalum Artichoke because that was my first impression. There is a lot of it in this area. After re examining my images, I'm more inclined to call it Wingstem which is similar to the Crownbeard. I guess I won't know for sure until I get back out there. Ask Mrs. Jim what she thinks about the Wingstem.

Mrs. T. says "Wingstem" is an alternate name for Crownbeard.

Real Name
Mike
Mrs. T. says "Wingstem" is an alternate name for Crownbeard.
That's interesting Jim and Mrs. T! I also find it interesting how common names are used for plants around the country and even in just my area. I use 3 guides - Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, Peterson's Wildflowers (Northeastern/North-central North America), and Audubon's Field Guide to Wildflowers (Eastern region), and several others, along with several online sources including a Facebook plant ID group that is very good and helpful.

Audubon doesn't list either. Newcomb's lists the Wingstem (Actinomeris alternifolia). And Peterson lists both the Wingstem (A. alternifolia) and the Crownbeard in two varieties (Verbesina occidentalis and V. helianthoides). So I guess without actually breaking down plants in scientific detail, they can be different plants to different people. I'm not nit picking. Like I said, I find it very interesting learning what other people call plants and how we've learned these things through the years. Love these kinds of discussions. Always give me a new perspective on the natural world. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom