Another camera body?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nburwell, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Lately, I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing another DSLR camera body as either my back-up to my D70 or as my primary body. Considering I'm not a professional, I don't know whether this is a good or bad idea. A friend of mine and I are going to be shooting a couple weddings together within the next year (and hopefully get more work), and I guess I was thinking that if something goes wrong with my D70, I at least have another camera to fall back on.

Now this isn't something that I'm going to purchase right away, because quite frankly I don't have the money right now. Plus, I would like to purchase the 70-200 VR down the road as well, which is another roadblock in my decision. As for my potential choices (and you all my chime in for other recommendations), I have been looking at the D100, D70, D70s, D50, Canon 20D. However, seeing as I have a decent collection of CF cards, I would still like to stick with a body that takes them.

So with what you have all read above you, do you think I'm foolish to even consider purchasing another body given my situation? Or should I just save up for the 70-200 VR?

2. Nick,
    My opinion is that the 70-200 2.8 will open more photographic opportunities for you than the 2nd body at this point. That will give you more time to give careful thought to the 2nd body that will take you where you need to go. Your thinking on the CF card issue is sound and I would strongly agree with that. Good luck what ever you choose.
    Dave

3. Go for the lens, you won't regret it. It's a phenomenal lens and as Dave says, it will open up a whole world of opportunities due to the VR.