Another Capture NX issue

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by KsJET, Jun 22, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    When I save an image using Capture NX version 1.1 on my laptop, the properties show the color representation as "uncalibrated" even though I save as sRGB. When I upload it to smugmug, it also shows "unknown" for color mode.

On my desktop I am still using version 1.0.1 and it saves the files as sRGB and shows that in the image properties and on smugmug.

Is there a setting I should change on my laptop or the latest version of Capture to correct this? The saved picture looks very dull outside of NX. :confused:

2. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Kellie-
    First, I would recommend updating NX to version 1.1. It fixes many issues.

If your images are in Adobe RGB, then you will need to add a color profile step to your edit list prior to saving the image as a JPEG if you want web applications to properly render the color. Add a color profile step and choose "convert profile" and choose sRGB as the destination profile.

This should fix the issues you are having.

-Jason

3. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Thanks. Actually, I do apply sRGB to the file before saving it and the colors are still off. If I convert the photo to color mode IIIa, it will look like IIIa in NX, but not outside of it.

4. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    OK, I updated both computers to version 1.1. When I save a file as a .jpg on the desktop, it saves it exactly how it looks in NX with the the correct color mode after I convert to sRGB. But when I save an edited photo as a .jpg on the laptop using the same steps, the .jpg looks different in windows picture and fax viewer than it does in NX and the color representation in the file properties always says uncalibrated. I'm guessing this is not an NX issue, but something on the laptop? I'm very confused and would like to be able to use the laptop to edit photos when I'm not near the desktop. :confused:

5. Have you calibrated your laptop ?

Not many applications are color profile "aware" in windowas as far as i know.

6. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Yup, it has been calibrated. I discovered someone with the same problem on Nikonians and it seems to be an NX issue. When I upload photos edited on the laptop version of NX to smugmug, they also say the color space is unknown, but from the desktop they say sRGB. NX also appears to miss saving a step occasionally. One of my pictures was saved with the correct crop, but the levels and curves adjustment was left out. It's very odd.

7. GlenF

GlenF Guest

I have this same problem with my desktop.

Kellie do you have a link to that thread/discussion?

Never mind a google search shows several discussions.
    After reading the other discussions this problem is not resolved for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  8. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Glen, it hasn't been resolved for me either and I even called Nikon on Friday. It isn't just my laptop. I was incorrect - it's both computers that show uncalibrated. The weird thing is I shoot in sRGB, but this still happens. I shoot RAW, but once I save it as a jpeg it should apply all of the in camera settings if I haven't changed them. When I open the photo in PS, it shows sRGB so if I want sRGB to be in the exif on smugmug or flickr, I have to open and then save it in PS. I don't understand why I would have to do that. It only happened once I upgraded to version 1.1. :confused:

I realized that all the editing steps are being saved, but the photo is darker outside of NX which is what made me think it wasn't saving the levels & curves adjustment. If you see the thread on Nikonians with screen captures, that is exactly what is happening to me. The only difference is I am starting with sRGB photos and I believe that poster was starting with aRGB.

I have been emailing back and forth with a Nikon tech, so I will let you know if I get a fix for this. I think it must be a version 1.1 bug.

9. GlenF

GlenF Guest

Kellie, fortunately I do not have the problem with darkened pics outside of nx. I too shoot in RAW/aRGB, I convert to sRGB in capture nx 1.1 and like you it shows as uncalibrated on flickr, smugmug and the windows viewer I have. The few shots I have taken with camera set to sRGB are detected as sRGB on the above mentioned sites.

Maybe we should coordinate email to nikon tech? PM me if you agree. I'm only online evenings.

10. I'd also be interested to hear the solution. I've just noticed I have the same problem with my Flickr shots which have come direct from Capture NX 1.1.

Ronnie

11. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Aug 20, 2006
    Woking, UK
    I raised this at Nikonians (possibly the thread you saw), see here.

I also raised it with Nikon and they kind of confirmed it as a bug...

Should add I only noticed this since updating to 1.1. Especially annoying as NX essentially fixed this problem which was present in Capture 4 (well it just couldn't do colour profiles properly at all), and it was the major reason I was happy to buy NX as it now appeared to do everything I wanted without the need for Photoshop (before I'd used Capture 4, export as TIFF to Photoshop and convert to sRGB, save as JPEG which is just major overkill!!).

Oh, and the problem applies to shooting in sRGB also so it's not just with conversions to sRGB. I think it's a problem with NX saving JPEGs. It could be it's screwing the image data itself as I thought browsers and the like were supposed to be unaware of colour profiles so they shouldn't care about the EXIF tag, and just render sRGB, but the images are wrong.