Another Dark-eyed Junco

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Here's some Dark-eyed Junco shots from around my Creek and Pond setup. These were taken using a blind with natural looking perches setup around my creek. I used three flashes for these shots. One SB-800 (master) in the D70 hotshoe, one SB-600 off to ther side on a tripod and another SB-600 on a tripod for background lighting. D70s within Nikkor 300 f4 & TC-14E II.

I notice generally, that the DE Juncos from the east are much grayer than the western species, which seem to have a lot more brown in them. It appears to me that the eastern species is more predominent with what used to be a separate species called Slate-colored Junco. The western species then was called Oregon Junco. The two were lumped and called Dark-eyed Junco.

Cheers
    Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. These photos are PERFECT !!
    Yes our New Jersey Dark-eyed Juncos are grey-sided or greyish-brown sided. On rare occasions one of the more pink-sided varieties strays from the west or the upper midwest, but I've only seen a pink-sider once here in the last 20 years.

3. Nice Junco's Tim, now you have me thinking about a water feature in my yard.

Martin

4. Martin, having running water adds to the number of species that you can attract down and get close to. Species like Juncos, sparrows, chicadees, etc. can also easily be photographed around feeding stations, but species like warblers, vireos, flycatchers, tanagers, waxwings, etc. do not go to feeding stations, but they do come down for running water. Only thing is that it really works best in the late summer / early fall, as that is when everything is quite dry and there's not a lot of water around. At that time of year, every bird species in your area will, at one time or another, come down for a drink or bath. Plus, it is fascinating sitting in the blind and watching it all. I have found running water to be the best situation for blind photography yet. :wink:

Cheers
    Tim

5. Very nice Tim! The Junco's that migrate from Canada to my part of the woods (New Jersey, USA) look different, are these the same guys? They just started migrating down here a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

6. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

No doubt about it, both varieties are very nice looking birds. Superb shots Tim.

Mike

7. Wow I really need tog et my flashes setup and give them a whirl do you find the flashes spook the birds by being in a closer proximity to them. I know when I fire the SB800 on the hot shoe the birds flinch

8. Hi Mike

Yes, I do find that some birds will flinch when the preflash is sent out. It really varies between each individual bird, but I missed many shots due to that preflash. That's why I gave up on using the TTL metering during most shoots and just used the manual flash settings. This way, even if they do flinch, there is no TTL preflash and the flinch is after the shot, and not before. With the SB-800 as the master, you can fully set all flash parameters for up to 4 flashes from the SB-800. It really is a great setup. For the blind around the creek / pond setup, I was typically within 4 to 20 feet of all subjects. I was able to have the flashes on 1/4/ to 1/16 power. :smile:

Cheers
    Tim

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,
    I'm glad I wandered over here to the bird forum. I liked all of these, but especially #2....the sparkly water in the background is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.

10. Excellent work Tim. Your use of flash on the first two is quite subtle and well done. Not sure about the third, it looks a little heavy handed.

11. Tim, these are absolutely beautiful. And thanks for responding to many of the replies with some good details, your descriptions were great.

Louie

12. Depends on the book. Some have lumped several together and call them all Dark eyed. My Sibleys guide still refer to this kind as Slate Sided Juncos and if you want to keep them happy throw some millit on the ground they don't like feeders very much.
    Tim very nice one of my favorites also:smile:

Rich

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,

These are most excellent. :wink:

14. Thanks Rich!

Anthony

15. Actually that is incorrect Rich. It does not depend upon the book. Books can out of date. Bird species names, taxinomic order, etc. are determined by the American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) and agreed to by the American Birding Association (ABA), and can change fairly often. The books are just a representation of these changes. If Sibley's is listing a Slate-sided Junco, then it is only referring to it as a sub species, since they are all lumped now as the Dark-eyed Junco. Here is a link to the most recent ABA listing and taxinomic order.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bbowman/birds/updates/#new

If you scroll down, you will see that Slate-colored Junco has an (L) beside it, which means it was lumped and now called Dark-eyed Junco. As far as I know, there never was a "Slate-sided Junco" but there may be a local sub species named that which I am not aware of.

Hope this helps to clarify.

Cheers
    Tim

16. great shots Tim, luv the first 2. you got the speedlights singing!!