Another Day At The Air Show

I wanted to post a few more images from the Air Show. These kind of caught my eye but, man, did I screw up highlights today...yuck! All images taken with a D2H and Nikkor 80-400mm VR

U.S. Army Golden Knights freefalling toward North Avenue beach from 10,500 feet....
48025818.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Chicago's Lima Lima Squadron doing their version of "Opposites Attract"
View attachment 14227

An Air Force F-15 Eagle going vertical with afterburners hot...
View attachment 14228

An Army Golden Knight parachutist receives close air support from a Red Baron Pizza Squadron bi-plane
View attachment 14229

And, lastly, these two Red Baron bi-planes passing like "ships in the night"
View attachment 14230

Please feel free to offer comments/critques to help me improve. I didn't use a CP filter which I should have...I think!

D

dbirdsong

Nice job today Frank.
This is a great shoot
48025823.gif

Thanks Dave...the Lima Lima Squadron are awesome, they make it look so easy!!!

48025911.gif

D

dbirdsong

I have never photographed an airshow, but I think I need to move them up on my list of things I need to photograph.

SRA said:
You're making up for all the airshows I missed this year. Thank you.

Hey Scott,

I have been a military aircraft enthusiast for years and this is the second year that I have taken the opportunity to shoot an event. If I had access like I assume that you do...I'd go crazy with images!!!

dbirdsong said:
I have never photographed an airshow, but I think I need to move them up on my list of things I need to photograph.

Hi Dave....

I'll send you a reminder about the Chicago Show next spring so you can clear your schedule.

drueter said:
Well done, Frank! Makes me want to find an airshow to shoot! Great captures.

Thanks Don, this was the most fun I've had in a while. I wouldn't mind finding another one myself!

greyflash said:
My gosh Frank you are kicking butt with these images. Many of these are sale-able images.

Thanks Gordon,

I appreciate the kind words. I'm looking forward to Papa85 showing how to process my images using PS so I can improve their look. It was an enjoyable two days of shooting.

I found that using a pol filter at airshows is asking for trouble. As the planes move, you would need to constantly adjust the pol for the proper effect, which is just too much to do. You could set it for a particular section of sky and just shoot when they get there, but it's mors trouble than it's worth. Then, consider the loss of 2 stops of light, which means slower shutter speeds. With prop planes, you have to be slow anyway to keep from freezing the prop, but jets need to be shot as fast as possible. Ya dun good, part of learning is doing. I can't count how many airshows I've shot, I still learn something every time I shoot one. Fact is, I usually learn something everytime I take the camera out of the bag......sometimes......the lesson is: leave it in the bag!!!!!

helmet155 said:
nice images Frank!!

Truly does make me want to go to an airshow soon!

Admission for the airshows down here in SoCal are around $100 per person!

Wow...talk about cost prohibitive!!! I would not be in a big hurry to spend a hundred bucks for a five hour show. I think Chicago is the largest air and water show that is still free!! For a change...we got a bargain.

Baywing said:
I found that using a pol filter at airshows is asking for trouble. As the planes move, you would need to constantly adjust the pol for the proper effect, which is just too much to do. You could set it for a particular section of sky and just shoot when they get there, but it's mors trouble than it's worth. Then, consider the loss of 2 stops of light, which means slower shutter speeds. With prop planes, you have to be slow anyway to keep from freezing the prop, but jets need to be shot as fast as possible. Ya dun good, part of learning is doing. I can't count how many airshows I've shot, I still learn something every time I shoot one. Fact is, I usually learn something everytime I take the camera out of the bag......sometimes......the lesson is: leave it in the bag!!!!!
Thanks for, at least, making me think that the CP filter wasn't something that I should have had on to get decent shots. I did put it on when I first arrived but it slowed the shutter speed way down and I wanted to shoot as fast as I could including FPS. I'll bet if there would have been high, thin clouds...the tendency to blow out highlights would have been less.

And you bring up another good piece of advice...learning is doing!!! That's why I went two days rather than only one.

Frank, Nice action shots !!! Very colourful images and they show exatly what you see on an airshow. Great stuntwork and very nice planes of course. I consider them as keepers If I were you, maybe a little poster of one of them. Looks to me the weather was superb, just ideal.

So, Great Images: Keep it up!!!

Kind Regards

Johan

Frank,

I am late viewing this (as usual), but what a treat! :biggrin: :biggrin: You've got some stunning shots here and on your web pages. I love the afterburners, the condensation on the wing, the Oracle guy (he's nuts, alright! :eek:), the pass you are now using in your avatar... and many, many more. I would be thrilled to have shot these. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hopefully, the Blue Angels will be back to the Bay Area this year, and the 70-200/VR + 1.7 TC will be enough... I see you had many shots at 400mm: is that with your 300 f/2.8 + 1.4 TC?

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Frank, a very very nice series. Excellent timing of the shots, thanks for sharing.

Darn! I am always crazy about planes, but air shows are so far away.:Sad:

Latest threads

Top Bottom