Another Dumb Question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Years ago a friend (now deceased) used only a 50mm lens on his 35mm film camera. It didn't have a built-in meter and he never used an external meter. He always shot slide film. I saw thousands of his slides and remember getting really excited upon viewing the one image that was not properly exposed. I told him I thought that day would never happen. It never happened again.

I always used the meter built into my camera. Yet I almost always took three exposures just to make sure one of them had likely nailed the exposure.
When I had my Dƒ, the 50mm family were my favorites!
Now, I prefer the 40mm family if I'm going to shoot with only one lens....

Good question. I never thought about it. I've developed B&W but never color. I wonder if different ISO's require different times and temps.
Yes.
I'm thinking that I might have to adjust my settings to how my local lab is developing - possibly?
Anyways, I'm not going to stop down 4 stops with this next roll...and we'll see how it goes!

Four stops sounds fairly extreme — but I haven't seen your film.
A carefully bracketed series of four stops either side of the expected correct exposure would be more useful.

Four stops sounds fairly extreme — but I haven't seen your film.
A carefully bracketed series of four stops either side of the expected correct exposure would be more useful.
A reviewer of the film said that if you can't set your camera to ASA 1.6, then set to ASA 25 and compensate with 4 stops.

Hmmm...so after seeing an image from the roll, I'm pretty much positive that I didn't load it properly and/or it didn't advance. I can see at least 2 separate images on the single frame.
So IMHO, absolutely nothing was over-exposed.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ISO/ASA 1.6 is making sense now. 4 stops less sensitivity than ISO/ASA 25.

25 divided by 2 is 12.
12 divided by 2 is 6
6 divided by 2 is 3
3 divided by 2 is 1.6

ASA 1.6 is 4 stops less sensitive than ASA 25, and 6 stops less sensitive than ASA 100

Sunny 16 rule: at f16, your shutter speed is the reciprocol of the ISO, (or ASA)

So if you keep your aperture at f16, ISO/ASA 1.6 would use a shutter speed 1/1.6 sec.

Every time you open your aperture 1 stop, to compensate (to keep the same exposure), you need to cut your shutter speed in half. (Remember that the smaller the f-stop number, the more light it brings in. For example, changing from F16 to F11 opens up the aperture and brings in twice the light.)

On a sunny day, using ISO/ASA 1.6:

f16 would use a shutter speed of 1/1.6 sec.
f11 would use a shutter speed of 1/3 sec.
f8 would use a shutter speed of 1/6 sec.
f5.6 would use a shutter speed of 1/13 sec.
f4 would use a shutter speed of 1/25 sec.
f2.8 would use a shutter speed of 1/50 sec.
f2 would use a shutter speed of 1/100 sec.
f1.4 would use a shutter speed of 1/200 sec.

On my Nikon:
f1.8 works out to 1/125 sec.
f1.6 is 1/160 sec.
I guess that f1.7 is somewhere in between

I've looked this over and it seems right to me. I would appreciate it if anyone could double-check me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Those last two items aren't correct. f/2 is one stop faster than f/2.8 and f/1.4 is one stop faster than f/2.
Thanks, Mike. I cheated and just looked at my old 50mm AIS lens. I should have looked it up. Interesting. So that means when I move my aperture from the 2nd largest of f2.8 to the largest of f1.8, I'm increasing my aperture by 1 1/3.

Last edited:
Hmmm...so after seeing an image from the roll, I'm pretty much positive that I didn't load it properly and/or it didn't advance.
That really brings back the old shooting with film memories.
One "trick" we all used- load the film into the camera and close the back. The rewind spool, the dial you use to wind the film back up into the canister, usually has a foldable arm. Fold that out, and rewind the film just a little to take the slack out- you will feel it start to tighten up. Now advance the film. If the film is loading properly, the rewind spool handle will turn roughly 1/2 a revolution with each frame you advance. Once you confirm it is advancing properly- close the handle down and go shoot.
In the film days, anyone that says they never shot 40 shots on a 36 frame roll because they did not load it properly is lying. It happened to me a couple of times, until an old press shooter showed my this routine. Then never again.
Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Yes.
I'm thinking that I might have to adjust my settings to how my local lab is developing - possibly?
Anyways, I'm not going to stop down 4 stops with this next roll...and we'll see how it goes!
Ah....back to the suggestion in post #59! LOL! I would have no idea how to shoot such film without knowing how it would be processed.... Good luck!

Attachments

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom