Another feeble attempt... Verrezano Bridge

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by taat2d, Jul 4, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Tried taking a few shots tonight of the Verrazano Bridge. This is my second attempt at this. I used my tripod, and cabel release. I shot on MF, used bulb, (between 4-5 seconds), and F/8&11. Let me know where I need to make improvements. This is ALOT harder than I thought. I don't think my images came out that good. I don't think they're REALLY SHARP. Please feel frre to critique from start yo finish.
    Thanx for the help...

vz6.

View attachment 221042

View attachment 221043

View attachment 221044

2. Hey Joe. I see a lot of flare (from headlights) in these photos and the photos came out soft. Plus, these scenes are underexposed. You need longer exposure than 5 seconds.

That spot isn't such a great place to take night photos of this bridge due to the oncoming headlights.

I would pick a spot that would avoid the headlights, selectively focus on the closest tower, meter that same tower for proper exposure and use a remote control w/a tripod for the best possible shot. The remote would minimize vibrations.

3. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Ditto, I totally agree with Dez!!!

Also, when shooting on a tripod, if you have a lens that has VR, switch the VR to the OFF position.

4. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thanx Dez. I did use a cable release and tripod. Did these shots come out soft because of too short a time for the SS?

I shot these with my 17-55.

5. If you want a different view of the ZV Bridge try going over to Staten Island and go to Fort Totten theres a really cool lookout there.

Here are a few of my shots of the VZ.

I used a Sony F828 for these:
    bridge1_edited1-vi.

DSC04874-vi.

vz-vi.

Taken with a D200:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  6. You can also get another perspective (no headlights) on the rocks off of Hylan Blvd near the Alice Austen house.

7. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Another great place to shoot the bridge is from Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island. Also, the Fort itself as well as the harbor is a great thing to shoot. I highly recommend this place.

8. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Ok you live in Florida. I'm guessing it's safe to assume you USED to be a Staten Islander? I'm a brooklyn transplant. Where is the Alice Austin House on Hylan? Near the expressway?

I was under the impression that the fort and grounds are closed. I thought that's what someone told me.

9. They may have been soft because it was too dark for the camera to focus. What were you focus points?

The other thing is when i shoot long exposure with a tripod and remote cable release, i use the "Mirror Up" feature on my D300. It helps reduce vibration of the mirror when taking a shot.

10. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC

I tried focusing on each tower, (not at the same time), :eek: , and I was trying to focus :eek: on the center of the bridge also.

The mirror up, is that the same as mirror lock?

11. No, Mirror Lock is for cleaning the sensor. I believe the D80 doesn't have the Mirror Up feature.

In that case, you should use the Nikon wireless remote to trigger the shutter.

As for focus, try focusing in something on the bridge that's lit (but not a light bulb) and avoid getting headlights in your frame.

12. My GF lives in SI. The Alice Austen house is all the way at the end of Hylan, there's a park and walkway there.

Here's the view:

226438076_ZZXLt-L.

13. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Cool thanx Scott.

Dez why would using the wireless remote be better? what's the difference between wireless remote and cable release?

14. Nice attempt to get good shots. I would walk closer to the bridge and away from the Belt Parkway. I believe the view from the other side of the bridge is much better. Give it another whirl.... don't give up!

15. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thanx. I figure at some point I gotta get at least ONE keeper. Hehe

16. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice shots of the VZ.
    Congrats !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.