Another first try for me - Live performance pics..

Well I got another call for some Pro Bono work with another opportunity for networking with some power players. I was asked to shoot a Music Showcase featuring KeKe Wyatt and Teedra Moses hosted by TVT Records and Seagrams Gin. I had never been on stage with performers before, and never taken photos of them either.

I'm going to share a few pics from the evening just to get some opinions on how you think I did. The lighting was a bit crazy and I was able to use flash. I tried a few shots with the 85, but I was too close to the action to get many good shots with it.

Enough of the jibber jabber, on to the pics...

First up, KeKe Wyatt:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And now a few of Teedra Moses:

As always, comments are welcome!! Good, bad, whatever you're feeling.... :biggrin:

Thanks Fred!! I really like the last one and I almost deleted it during my initial look. The crop is straight from the camera, and I think that's one of the good shots captured with the 85 during the night.

Those are great shots! On that second shot she seems like she was paying close attention to the photographer. Was that a small club? Do you have any showing more of the stage? I was wondering what happend to KeKe, I actually heard she was in jail a few years ago. Dont know if it was just a rumor here in Texas or if she was truely in jail.

BTW, which lens did you end up using?

Looks like you have really gotten the hang of this type of photography Keith. Your bag of tricks is getting deeper and deeper. I gotta branch out one of these days!

Those are great shots! On that second shot she seems like she was paying close attention to the photographer. Was that a small club? Do you have any showing more of the stage? I was wondering what happend to KeKe, I actually heard she was in jail a few years ago. Dont know if it was just a rumor here in Texas or if she was truely in jail.

BTW, which lens did you end up using?[/QUOTE

Good job, I tried this about two years ago and quickly gave up.
It's not easy.
Looks like you have really gotten the hang of this type of photography Keith. Your bag of tricks is getting deeper and deeper. I gotta branch out one of these days!
Keith, wonderful! Love them all... Very nice.
Thanks to all that have responded!!!

Vin2k, the club was decent sized, but the stage was fairly small. Unfortunately I don't have pics showing more of the stage, as I was on it, and in one position most of the show. I do believe that KeKe was locked up a few years back for a domestic incident that allegedly ended in a stabbing... I used the Beast for most of the shot, and an occasional shot with the 85 1.4.

Very true Greg, it wasn't easy and I just winged it. This shoot may lead to additional work for the label, but I'll have to see. :)

Thanks Stuart. I know lots of people in many different circles, and now that they know I love to photograph people, they usually think of me. Now, they have to find some money in the budget!!! LOL You should definitely branch out, your talents are much more polished than mine, I'm sure you'd do just fine pursuing other avenues...

Thanks John!!!

Great close up captures on stage Keith. However in my opinion, the flash is too overpowering for me on some shots. I find the WB also a little too warm too.

Were you on Auto WB? Did you try to use the tungsten gell for the SB800?

Using speedlight on stage with mixed lighting can be a little tricky. I would suggest to shoot without flash since the 85mm prime should be able to handle low light conditions.

Great close up captures on stage Keith. However in my opinion, the flash is too overpowering for me on some shots. I find the WB also a little too warm too.

Were you on Auto WB? Did you try to use the tungsten gell for the SB800?

Using speedlight on stage with mixed lighting can be a little tricky. I would suggest to shoot without flash since the 85mm prime should be able to handle low light conditions.
2 much strobe. kills the ambience of the room.
Believe it or not, I agree with both of you. I didn't use the gel for the sb, and my WB was set to flash, as usual. :biggrin: Shooting without flash is not one of my strong points, so I decided against it for the most part. I actually tried a few shots without the flash, and to be honest - they SUCKED!!!! LOL

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom