Another first try for me - Live performance pics..

Discussion in 'People' started by Jetta32696, May 12, 2007.

1. Well I got another call for some Pro Bono work with another opportunity for networking with some power players. I was asked to shoot a Music Showcase featuring KeKe Wyatt and Teedra Moses hosted by TVT Records and Seagrams Gin. I had never been on stage with performers before, and never taken photos of them either.

I'm going to share a few pics from the evening just to get some opinions on how you think I did. The lighting was a bit crazy and I was able to use flash. I tried a few shots with the 85, but I was too close to the action to get many good shots with it.

Enough of the jibber jabber, on to the pics...

First up, KeKe Wyatt:

151708562-L-1.

151708576-L-1.

151708670-L-1.

151893841-L-1.

And now a few of Teedra Moses:

151714915-L-1.

151714855-L-1.

151885675-L-1.

151914444-L.

As always, comments are welcome!! Good, bad, whatever you're feeling.... :biggrin:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Look great to me
    What do they think of them

3. Thanks Gale! I haven't gotten much feedback from the Record Label yet, but I should hear in a few days once they see all of my images. Things look good so far though...

4. Very nice Keith, my favorite is the last one.

5. Thanks alot Gordon!! The last one is also my favorite shot of Teedra!!

6. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    All nice, but #4 and the last one nail the live show mood perfectly.

7. Thanks Fred!! I really like the last one and I almost deleted it during my initial look. The crop is straight from the camera, and I think that's one of the good shots captured with the 85 during the night.

8. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    Those are great shots! On that second shot she seems like she was paying close attention to the photographer. Was that a small club? Do you have any showing more of the stage? I was wondering what happend to KeKe, I actually heard she was in jail a few years ago. Dont know if it was just a rumor here in Texas or if she was truely in jail.

BTW, which lens did you end up using?

9. Good job, I tried this about two years ago and quickly gave up.
    It's not easy.

10. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Looks like you have really gotten the hang of this type of photography Keith. Your bag of tricks is getting deeper and deeper. I gotta branch out one of these days!

11. Keith, wonderful! Love them all... Very nice.

13. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

good work keith...

I like all of the shots...

14. Thanks Maurice! Been shooting lately?

15. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Great close up captures on stage Keith. However in my opinion, the flash is too overpowering for me on some shots. I find the WB also a little too warm too.

Were you on Auto WB? Did you try to use the tungsten gell for the SB800?

Using speedlight on stage with mixed lighting can be a little tricky. I would suggest to shoot without flash since the 85mm prime should be able to handle low light conditions.

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

2 much strobe. kills the ambience of the room.

17. Believe it or not, I agree with both of you. I didn't use the gel for the sb, and my WB was set to flash, as usual. :biggrin: Shooting without flash is not one of my strong points, so I decided against it for the most part. I actually tried a few shots without the flash, and to be honest - they SUCKED!!!! LOL