Another Flash Bracket Question

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by thorin, Jul 10, 2007.

1. thorin

thorin

Feb 10, 2007
    Dallas
    I want to purchase a flash bracket and I know that Uncle Frank highly recommends the Custom Bracket's CB Junior.

Has anyone tried the RRS Body Flash Brackets? Price wise the CB Junior is about 1/3 the price. Guess I will take someone else's advice and go try out a CB Junior at a photo shop and if I like it, buy it there - so little discounting on flash brackets.

But, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the RRS brackets and, if so, what they thought of them.

Thanks

2. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    bracket

I also have considered a flash bracket - the one that catches my attention is this one from Alzo:
    http://www.alzodigital.com/online_store/digital_camera_porta_flash_accessories.htm

Mainly because the idea of using an umbrella/softbox and the height adjustment appeal to me - may not be that practical in real life, however! The softbox could be used off camera with a traditional stand also!
    - heavy
    - unwieldy
    - bulky

They do have their own version of the ittl cords for good prices - and a 48" version...

Good luck.

3. Hi David. Yes I recently acquired a RRS bracket setup. Some points:

1 Fantastically expensive.

2 Really solid and well built, great to use.

3 Solves a major problem. You can use the flash angled to bounce off the ceiling in portrait as well as landscape orientation. This was the main reason I got the bracket. With brackets such as the CB Junior I believe the flashhead is sideways on in portrait orientation.

4 If you decide to go this route, be careful what you order. If you are mounting to the body rather than the lens you need a camera body plate and a further component (the exact reference escapes me) between the plate and the bracket.

4. Another CB Jr lover here.

5. Take note of the swiveling positions. In portrait mode, your right hand is underneath, which would be awkward.

[​IMG]

Their 15" softbox is reasonably priced and looks interesting.

6. You're correct. On the CB Jr. the flashhead is sideways in portrait mode, but it can still be rotated for angled bounces.

7. I do own the RRS bracket and it is a very well engineered piece of equipment. I like it a lot but it takes a bit to get over the sticker shock.

8. rsmithgi

rsmithgi Guest

Do you have - WPF-1 Wedding Pro Flash Bracket?

9. You're right Frank. The advantage of the RRS bracket is you can rotate the flash without having to change the orientation of the flash head. Also, I like to use the pull-out white card on the Sb-800 to get a bit of life in the eyes, and with the RRS bracket I can do that.

I had a Stroboframe bracket which looks very like the CB Jr and works the same way. Not well engineered, though and felt very wobbly. The RRS gear is a pleasure to use, but the price is really eye-watering.

10. When I bought it they called it the Perfect Portrait bracket. I would have to go to their new book to see if it is the same as what your are talking about.

11. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Take a look at the Newton Di100FRs

David, you may want to take a look at the Newton Di100FRs http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/default-old1.htm the flash unit rotates around the lens and remains in the normal vertical position at all times. You can also bounce off the ceiling in any position. It's small enough to fit in my camera bag attached to the camera body with lens (minus the flash unit) and is quick/easy to remove. The largest diameter lens that I've tried it with on my D2xs is the Beast and it works fine. I managed to find a used copy for $75. Good luck

12. rsmithgi

rsmithgi Guest

I rechecked their site. It appears to be a different product. I'm going to try to find our more about the Wedding bracket because it is less than half the cost and folds flat.

This solves several things that I don't like about the Stroboframe quick flip:

1. Portrait orientation leaves trigger hand on top.

2. Folds flat.

3. Looks sturdier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. That looks like a neat bracket. Everything I have purchased from RRS has been excellent and works great.

14. It appears to operate like the CB Jr., but folding flat is very desireable feature. It's a chore to pack the CB Jr. in a camera bag.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  15. The RRS wedding bracket looks nice, but......you will need a RRS L-bracket mounted on your camera in order to use it. That could add another $180 to the cost, if you are using a D2X.:eek:

From the RRS web site:

Quick-release mount to your Really Right Stuff L-plate (not included - purchase separately)

16. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    Does anyone know if the RRS Wedding Pro Flash Bracket will fit on a Kirk L-Bracket? I would hate to have to spend $150 for a duplicate L bracket.