Another flower of my garden...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, May 20, 2005.

1. Mother Natures really does things right, doesn't she ?

Fuji S2 + Tamron SP90 - 1:125 @ f/ 22 - RAW - ISO 100

original.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Ooooh, nice!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gorgeous.

Your processing is fantastic

4. Excellent shot with good processing.

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gale took the words right out of my mouth!!
    Jerry Snider

6. Hi all ! Thanks for looking and for the compliments on the processing :oops: !

Now, i've been using PSCS RAW converter since it came out, because of the facility it gives and the fact that it seems easier to use than the Fuji EX converter... Lately though, i went back to use Fuji's, and the results are without any comparisons: i get sharper, more contrasty and truer colors than using PSCS converter !

As for post-processing, i only converted the pics from RAW to *.PSD, then gave a 500, 0.4,0 USM on the original size (4256x2848 pixels), and reduced for Internet use. Then i gave a slight 20,10,0 USM to regain some contrast, and finally a 300,0.2,0 USM. This is my usual way of treating pics intended to show on screen...

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful Jean-Pierre!! Thanks for the processing tips also. Very well done. :wink:

8. Beautiful.......... :D :D :D

9. Wow, very dramatic and beautiful color!!

This is intriguing. I've never tried multiple sharpenings. I've heard where people do 2 passes but never 3. I'll have to try this and see as obviously it works well for you! :)

10. Hi Kevin ! in fact, the 20,20,0 USM doesn't give a "sharpening" effect ! Using this "technique", you only add contrast to the edges... this works, usually using Amount 20, and Radius from 10 up to 70 (up to taste) ! have a try...

11. Hi Jean-Pierre. I did give your suggestion a try and was amazed at the effects during each of the steps. I'm going to play around with this some more as it seems to be very effective. Thanks for the tip!

12. Hi Kevin ! Glad it helped :D !

13. Impressive shot Jean-Pierre and thanks for the processing tips. :)

14. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    excellent color depth and saturation!

15. Very nice Jean-Pierre. Thanks for sharing.

16. Mother Nature does it right indeed, but you also did it right!
    Very nice.

17. I like the picture very much. Just wondering, have you ever make test using different background color?

18. Hi Alain ! Yes, i tried different colors, but as it's "cloth", if i include it more or less in the focussed area, i never get a even color, and i still can see some "wrinkles" (correct english?) ! So, using plain black, it's easy to get a more even background, and i try purposely to avoid having it in the focussed area ! ...and also, black is more "neutral" IMHO !

19. For the black do you use black velvet (velour noir), I think that it is the blackest material you can use for a background.

20. Hi Alain ! I first thought of black velvet, but the price was a bit high, so the saleswoman offered me another material wich, as she said, was the choice of all photographers around... it's a thick cotton, very much black and matte ! I tried to overexpose it to see the color "components" in it, and it comes out brownish... i should definitly try to do the same on a small piece of velvet, to check, but i doubt that there is anything that stays pure black when overexposed; the only difference would be a different color "component" and maybe the need of more overexposure to "loose" pure black !