Another focus stack.

Seven shot focus stack from last spring. Ended up a little short in depth and did notice until I got home. Probably should have had another 4 or 5 frames.

Nikon Z7, 105mm f2.8 macro, put together with Helicon Focus.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That is very nice!

I've yet to try focus stacking with the Z7. I was waiting for a native macro lens (I do have a Lensbaby Velvet, but no AF with this lens), but looks like Nikon won't be releasing a macro anytime soon. After seeing your image, I think it might be time to use one of the F mount macros with the FTZ adapter and try some focus stacks.

Nikon won't be releasing a macro anytime soon.
The official roadmap says they plan to release two macros no later than next year.

I think it might be time to use one of the F mount macros with the FTZ adapter and try some focus stacks.
I don't know the Nikon macro lenses, so I'll mention that focus shifting using a Nikon camera requires using either an AF-S or AF-P lens.

The official roadmap says they plan to release two macros no later than next year.
I was hoping they would be this year. I find the native lenses nicer to use on the Z bodies, not sure why. Even the Z mount Lensbaby is nicer to use than the F mount one via the FTZ adapter

I don't know the Nikon macro lenses, so I'll mention that focus shifting using a Nikon camera requires using either an AF-S or AF-P lens.
I currently have the Nikkor 60mm and 105mm macros, plus Sigma 150mm and 180mm macro lenses. I'm not sure of their compatibility with the Z7 as yet, but before the native orchid and fungi seasons begin in earnest here in Australia, now might be a good time to check them out.

I gave up using the Nikon bodies and CamRanger a few years ago for orchid and fungi photography. On one fungi walk I hosted, an owner of a D850 was doing focus stacks with it, I thought the process was somewhat too fiddly for me to be using it in the field. Both Olympus and Fuji have made the process simple for field use.

Real Name
Andy
Very nicely done. I rather like the fact that your "short stack" excludes some of the portions of the flower from razor sharp focus. It adds a nice tangibility to the subject. Not a flaw at all in my opinion.

Gorgeous, both the flower and the skill at capturing it.
Thanks Nick. I usually take multiple stacks since the results are unknown until later after processing.
Great detail and color!
Thanks Allan
That's excellent, Ron. I think your depth of field is just about right as is.
Thanks Jim
Impressive! This one really uses the focus stacking to great advantage.
Thanks Mitch. I like the way the Z7 takes the stack. Makes the job easier than before.
That is spectacular, what a great job
Thanks Rick
That is very nice!

I've yet to try focus stacking with the Z7. I was waiting for a native macro lens (I do have a Lensbaby Velvet, but no AF with this lens), but looks like Nikon won't be releasing a macro anytime soon. After seeing your image, I think it might be time to use one of the F mount macros with the FTZ adapter and try some focus stacks.
Thanks Richard. I have seen no problems using the FTZ adapter. In fact I like using the tripod mount on the FTZ instead of the camera body.
Wow, Ron, this is a stunning shot!
Thanks Connie
Very nicely done. I rather like the fact that your "short stack" excludes some of the portions of the flower from razor sharp focus. It adds a nice tangibility to the subject. Not a flaw at all in my opinion.
Thanks Andy

Real Name
Chris
Ron, that is an absolutely beautiful capture and what I would refer to as an “inspiration piece” that made me start to take an interest in macro shooting and toying around with it. Such beautiful color and composition, very nicely done.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom