Another happy APS experience - Resolved

Quick update. Arrived back today after re-fix under warranty. Works fine.

Sent my D3 in for a cleaning and adjustment and to fix the LCD monitor which was hazy under the cover - likely the D3 adhesive off gassing issue. They received it Wednesday evening. Friday I had an email estimate for that stuff and another issue they found. I OK'd the work, they shipped it Monday. Arrived today, good as new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear about your positive experience. I never tried APS, but hear a lot of good things about them. I recently sent my 200/2 off to Melville for a squeak which was covered under warranty. They changed a bunch of stuff and it came back just perfect. I'm still happy with Melville so I haven't had a reason to abandon them just yet. Again, good to hear positive reviews about anything photography.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I used APS a few months ago.....OUTSTANDING service, turn around time and fair price!

I've had both my Nikon 28-70mm and 70-200mm make the trip to APS for a general cleaning and tune-up in the last 6 months. Both lenses returned in under a week, and seemed to work better (quieter and better focus) than when they were new. They even diagnosed a bad part in the 70-200mm which I had long suspected wasn't working exactly as it should...nothing but good things to say about APS.

My Nikkor 20mm F2.8 is about to make the same voyage for stuck aperture blades.

Another Atta-Boy for APS. They worked on an older AIS lens, and it's good as new. Fast service and fair prices.

I sent my 28-70 to them back in May. The focus was sticking at infinity (no physical damage to the lens). The turnaround time was less than two weeks. The price....well $565.

I live ~ 30 min from APS. Called them about replacing the lens mount on my D3 and quick turn around. Brought it in first thing on a Saturday morning, dropped it off, went down the street for coffee, got a cup and sat down. 15 min later received a text message that the camera was ready. New mount, complete clean and check, slight af adjust, $125. Total time not including commute, 1 hour :smile:.

Sent my D3 in for a cleaning and adjustment and to fix the LCD monitor which was hazy under the cover - likely the D3 adhesive off gassing issue. They received it Wednesday evening. Friday I had an email estimate for that stuff and another issue they found. I OK'd the work, they shipped it Monday. Arrived today, good as new.

Just out of curiosity, what did they charge to fix the lcd hazing? I have a D3 with the same problem, but havent't bothered to have it fixed. I completely agree about APS, I have had work done there and been completely satisfied.
Joe

The total for everything was $245 including return $15 shipping. Services were:

Replace bayonet mount
Firmware upgrade
Clean LCD display (I called the to see what this actually entailed. They disassembled it and cleaned it from the inside and reassembled.)
Adjust focus
Adjust shutter speed
Check playback switch
Check image processing
Check and clean sensor
General clean and adjust.

So I'm guesstimating it'd be well under $100.

Could you please provide contact info for APS? Is it Nikon or an authorized service center? Sorry, I'm just not up to speed w/APS. I'm experiencing some sharpness issues w/D700 & would really like to have it checked.
Thanks.

Took it out for some random shooting. The AF lock selector is literally immovable, stuck on the dot. I'm afraid if I try to force it I'll break it. But I cant move the AF point with the selector either. Both worked fine when I sen it in. I've emailed APS and will let you know what I hear back.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
They will make sure your camera is fixed and you are happy. I have no doubt....!

This is making me nervous. I just sent that same lens to them with focus sticking after a fall last year. I'm not sure I'll repair it at that price.

Don't be nervous, that is a great lens and it is worth fixing. When I am in the same boat I will gladly shell out $500 to have it fixed as it is still cheaper than a new 24-70/2.8. I use the hell out of my 28-70/2.8 and really like it.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom