Another HDR Attempt. C&C required

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Davec223, Aug 8, 2008.

1. OK, be as honest as you like, I know the actual picture is not that interesting I am just trying to get my head round HDR processing,again this is from one raw file and converted into 4 exposures and then processed. I really would like to know what you think of the processing.
    Thanks in Advance

bartonfinished.jpg

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    It looks a little bright to me...perhaps more contrast would give it more dimension. Can't tell much about noise.... I had to look at it quite a while to figure out what was generating the spray. The water and coast line don't show up much.

3. Karen, Thanks for the comments, I will try re editing it later and reposting.

4. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I prefer more subtle HDR, but that's just me.
    My advice for what it's worth, would be:
    If you've only got the one image and not true multi exposures, would be to blend them with your software (Photomatix ?), but only blend them (go easy on the strength settings).
    Don't try and create a final image with the HDR software, use Ps or similar for that.
    You'll achieve more realistic images.

An excellent piece pseudo HDR software is ReDynaMix, it's a Ps Plugin.
    http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html
    You can either use it to create a full HDR look or just boost your image.

5. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    I second the more subtle HDR. . .although there is some HDR thats not so subtle but it still works. Not too familiar with the techniques these fellows use, so can't really comment on how to achieve a more. . ."realistic" look. Still looks like you have a pretty crack'n base to work from.

6. Hi Dave, I too like subtle HDR, although have created some overcooked ones too.
    I think that the image looks great anyway, but could be improved by lowering the saturation and contrast a bit.

7. Dave
    to me, as others, the water spray is an issue here
    the image looks more like it came from some "sandstorm on mars."

which maybe isn't a bad thing, i suppose

8. Thanks for all the comments, My appologies for not answering quicker, The wife has had me on decorating duties all weekend. I will try re editing and post again for your valued comments.

9. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Dave - I think you took a great shot, but to me, the HDR is a bit too much, especially with the water spray. The rocks, also are a bit too shiny. Perhaps some adjustments with the contrast? I am by no means an HDR expert...just my two cents, for what it's worth.

10. j13jjs

j13jjs

Aug 4, 2008
    Atlanta
    I think its a great shot, just maybe lower intensity in the rocks; some of the shadows seem a bit much