Another hobby... model a/c build

I just (nearly) completed another model airplane project, but this was the first I'd documented the build in pictures. Most everything below was shot with D70 (there might be one or two from a D200 though), an older Nikkor 35-70af, 18-70 "kit" lens, Tokina 12-24, and SB800.

The kit is a Proctor Antic Biplane from one of the first kits of this model from the early '70s (the designer, Lou Proctor has long since passed but the company was bought and still makes the kit).

Everything is designed, built, and installed like a full-size airplane. The wires (cables) on the wings are functional, as are the struts and fittings. The turnbuckles have to be "safety wired" like the full size ones. The fuselage is plywood in the front, the rear is all square sticks with bamboo for cross-bracing. The cross-bracing is all functional, not for show - and it is strong.

All the "servos" are in the front of the fuselage, moving the control surfaces by cables. All four ailerons work off of one servo in the fuselage via cables.

Now that it's done I can move on to other things! :biggrin:

Starting on a wing-panel (after building the ribs):
201865409_7rXVL-M-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Assembling the fuselage/hatch then impressing myself with the woodwork on the fuselage (I later redid the finish though):
201865713_UD4K7-M-2.jpg

202980095_N2GC9-M.jpg

Tossing some of the parts together for motivation:
201865874_rJNum-M-2.jpg

Covering and thinking about final-assembly, back-lighting with a slaved SB-800:
266093001_ahzB9-M.jpg

Built the tailskid - it's coming together:
203000050_EsFzq-M-2.jpg

Woodwork is done, brass parts polished, basic hardware installed, now it's time to start bolting things together. Here I'm installing the struts, strut-fittings, and flying-wires - showing detail. Lens is an older Nikkor 35-70 (the exif reports 80mm for some reason):
265638681_TcLUD-M-1.jpg

Building the pilot - this guy's been around since the 60s. I had to glue it together and modify his shoulders to fit the airplane:
287703587_wbsMy-M.jpg

290364485_VMWeU-M.jpg

The finished product, finally:
290364106_inFmh-M.jpg

...the wings come off as two sections for transportation and storage:
266420883_CKNUE-M.jpg

A gallery with more pictures w/exifs are here.

PS: I added some of the watermarks because the images were published on a model builders website

Nice photos and great job on that Proctor kit! A friend of mine built one many years ago and they are a lot of work. He flew it a few times and now it hangs from the ceiling of his store and looks like new.
Btw, that OS91 should work and sound great on this plane. I still have one NIB from the early 90's that'll go into something one day if I can ever find the time. lol

Thanks Nick... yeah, that old 90 should be more than enough. The bipe will fly nicely on a .45 - but the older 90 isn't a massive powerhouse anyway. I built the engine-mount around that engine and everything balanced absolutely perfect without any adjustment.

Aside from finding time and motivation, the biggest problem I have now is getting a no-wind day to play with it.

"eventually" :)

Probably when it cools off a little more out. I haven't even gotten around to setting up the engine yet.

I want to get a monoplane version, I've got a Nieuport 11 hanging from the ceiling I want to finish, and I've got a Nieuport 28 & Jenny in the box waiting to be built.

Sweeet! I enjoy this type of hobby it's very theraputic, however I would be too nervous to fly such a sweet looking plane with all those hours invested. I had a few string control planes and everyone crashed most haneously before the summer was over. Thanks for sharing .

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Good job Scott. From the close ups, you have done a very clean job on the details.

Been into R/C myself for about 40 years. Fun hobby. Now, take a little of your lens fund and get one of those new spread-spectrum radios.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi Scott.I built and flew scale models as a hobby some years back.I placed second in the nationals on a least two occasions.But I could never beat the top guy.The last plane I built was a Gloster Gladiator,I spent almost two and a half years building it.I never finished it. The only things left to complete was the covering of the wings.The air frame was complete with engine and radio gear.The wings were completly covered and radio gear installed.The only thing left to do was the painting, but I never got around to finish.I think that I just burnt myself out.So in short I can see the work that you have put into this biplane and don't ditch it?
Happy days.
Mike.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_irish/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all... Mike, I've been there - sort of. I used to get into a project and I'd just go and go until it was done. This was my 2nd Proctor kit and I just took my time and did a little bit at a time. If I got hung up on something I'd just let it sit awhile and get back when I felt like it. I kind of got burned out a little, but when I started covering I got more incentive to finish... when I get around to flying it, I will.

I wanted to get my Nieuport finished to take to Rhinebeck but that isn't going to happen. I'm going anyway, but just for a day to spectate.

-sk

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi again Scott.I can see from the standard of your building that you are no novice.
Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom