1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Another "How to spend my money?" question...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Prettym1k3, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Here's my setup at the moment:

D40
    18-55 3.5-5.6
    55-200 4-5.6 VR
    SU-800
    SB-600

So, I've got about $300 to spend. I've been dying for a 50mm f/1.4, but the AF-S versions are pretty pricey.

I was thinking about either a:

35mm AF-S f/1.8; or
    A second SB-600

I'm sure people will ask, so here's where I'm at: I shoot about 50% family gatherings for my family and my wife's family (birthdays, Christmas, etc.). On the other 50% side of things, I shoot mountain biking in the dirt, in the shade, in odd sunlight blasting through the trees, and guys and gals whipping past me at 15-35mph.

What do you think? Where is my money best spent?

*I sure do miss my D50 and the ability to use the standard AF lenses - :D epressed:*

2. 35 1.8. If you find one in stock let me know cause I'm looking but won't pay over the 199msrp.

3. gladjo

gladjo Guest

+1

4. I'm searching non-stop. Gotta' call a couple of local stores and see if they have any in stock.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

5. www.arlingtoncamera.com shows that they have the 35mm AF-S f/1.8 in stock.

I found a local store to me that says they'll have them very soon, so I'm going to hold out and support a local business. But if you wanted to order it from Arlington, it looks like they got good reviews.

6. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Another vote for the 35mm f1.8. I like supporting my local business too. I bought two from them.:smile:

7. i like support local bis to but with the 8% tax rate + MORE expenive product = fail

so i go online

they are still selling the D300 for 1799 and won't budge a penny on it

8. ij7ee

ij7ee

Mar 28, 2009
    US
    I agreed with 35 f/1.8.

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Jan 30, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Agreed, you don't have a fast lens in your lineup... Nothing like having something that can gather light and allow you to really manipulate DOF.

10. Thanks everyone.

Now I just have to find one for sale. Arlington sold out. I've tried, Wolf, Ritz, BH, San Jose Photo, and a bunch of other stores. EVERYONE is out except Crutchfield and they want like $230 or $240 for it. I'd rather wait and save the $40.

11. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Another +1 for the 35 1.8

Have you tried KSP in palo alto? You an even get put on a waiting list where they call you and hold one when it comes one.

I just realized you're in SJ too lol

12. A good tripod and a ballhead. I promise you that is probably THE best investment you'll ever buy in this hobby, and will greatly improve the quality of your pictures. A good tripod is something you'll use for years, if not decades to come. Now you can set up that tripod and actually INCLUDE yourself in family pictures. Do you ride trails? Set up that tripod and strobe right next to the dirt jump and use a remote trigger to take a picture of yourself midair on a tabletop. With a tripod you can do artistic motion blurs, time lapse, landscapes, night photography, and other stuff that you otherwise will not be able to shoot if you don't have a 'pod.

That... is my suggestion. :smile:

13. Jaytron, actually, I stooped so low as to call a couple of Wolf/Ritz cameras and one girl was super nice, but actually chuckled when I asked if they had any in stock. Haha... She referred me to KSP. The guy on the phone was nice, but said he'd have to throw me on the waiting list.

Dontshoot, I do have an inexpensive tripod that I mainly use to hold my SB-600 right now while shooting with my SU-800. I definitely plan on investing in a good quality tripod and ballhead sometime down the road, but right now I mainly shoot spur of the moment stuff, and biking, and the biking stuff involves constant changes in my position to get the right shot. Thank you for the advice. If a D90 body isn't my next purchase, chances are that a good tripod will be.

As for anyone looking for the 35mm f/1.8 lens, http://www.calumetphoto.com/ has them in stock right now. I just ordered one and it'll be here on Tuesday. :D 

14. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Congrats on your lens :) 

Next wed night there's a "Zombie walk" downtown. Might be a fun event to test the new lens at :)  I'll be there with a few friends shooting away. Let me know if you plan to go.

15. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Congrats on your lens :) 

Next wed night there's a "Zombie walk" downtown. Might be a fun event to test the new lens at :)  I'll be there with a few friends shooting away. Let me know if you plan to go.

16. Jay,

I just might have to check that out. What time? Where in downtown?

17. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
  18. if I had $300 I would save it till I knew what I needed,. good luck with the new lens but there's so many other things that might work out more useful,. no doubt (from responses) the 35 is a nice lens but really do you need one now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.