Another Image Stolen

I found out last night that some nitwit stole one of my photographs and entered it into a Jeep photo contest in Mexico. I found out because my image won first place netting the thief a free vacation (not overall grand prize, so really my image came in second) and people started emailing me about it. So now I've reached out to Jeep and am hopeful with Chrysler being a major business that they will not want to award a prize to a fraud. Sadly early signs are it's going to be a pain to get them to right the situation.

This has opened up a can of worms on sharing media online and whether watermarking is a good idea or even effective (esp. if watermarked tastefully). Anyone want to give their thoughts on the subject? In some ways, I sort of chalk up online image theft as inevitable if you post images online and someone wants one badly enough. On the other hand, before I had my images online I sure didn't have 3.5 million views on my work either so the entry cost almost seems worth it. Perhaps it's just the cost of doing business in the digital age? Am I hopelessly optimistic/naive?

Here's the link to the contest and this is my "winner":

HPHbw.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here it is on my flickr stream from when I uploaded it in 2007:

344900665_4815c2dcb4_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fright Flight of the Snow Geese by Fort Photo, on Flickr

The sad thing is that I've found folks winning photo contests with my work before. Last time someone won a smaller contest on Deviant Art with one of my Teton images. Deviant Art very quickly made the situation right in that case, I only hope Jeep responds equally well.

The next time someone remarks how ugly a watermark looks, I'll point them to this thread! I hope the thief gets his due - I would forward your story to a photo site like Rob Galbraith's to see if some PR couldn't make Jeep take swift action.

Sean

There are 250,000+ members on the Jeep forum. :wink:

Just be sure to start out by talking about how much you love Jeeps.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Good luck! Great photo! Now that JEEP KNOWS the photo was stolen, they should be eager to correct the wrong!

The only people I know that whines about copyright added over an image, are other photographers. I slap it on. :)

What an excellent photo!

That sucks. I hope Chrysler does the right thing. But, are you also considering a copyright complaint against the person that stole your image?

I'll add this to my growing list of stolen image examples.

Fstoppers recently did a post on another stolen image that has been used all over the world. http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers-original-the-stolen-scream

You might want to contact them, PDN http://pdnpulse.com/ , http://www.petapixel.com/ , http://www.aphotoeditor.com/ and anyone else that might write about your story.

Real Name
Luis Casals
That is so wrong. I hope that the person gets what he deserves and that the company makes the situation right for you.

I don't know how can that person enjoy the vacation prize, knowing that he stole someone's work to earn it. That is so disgusting and wrong in so many levels. Hopefully you get this resolved.

Chrysler should have not problem doing the right thing after you present hte facts to them. Otherwise a letter from an attorney may encourage them. They should understand copywright law.

Latest threads

Top Bottom