Critique Another Instance of Bad Leadership on workshops.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Mike Delgado, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Yup, this, and couple of stories like this have been making the rounds out here. A couple of local photographers have been very vocal about the speeding convoys of workshop vehicles -- especially bad at harvest time.
    And it's not confined to the Palouse. Name an iconic place, National Park or Refuge and you'll here the same tale.
    Sad and frustrating.
    Maybe it is time that workshops were licensed?

2. Awesome idea to license workshops. Its sad that a guy like this would do this but its not he's first time. Very disappointing!

3. In Idaho, all outfitters and guides are licensed (hunting, fishing, boating, climbing) but I don't know of any photography-only businesses. And Idaho is probably has the best managed outfitting system in the lower 48.
    I've run in to a few very well run workshop groups in the past (John Shaw, Rocky Mtn School, among them) who were very well managed and polite. Others seem to be run by drill sergeants who focused their ire on controlling the locals.

4. My childhood home is in the middle of a national wildlife refuge and the "private residence" sign was heeded by most over the years, and even then some of the people who sought access/permission to our land would then stretch that by coming back unannounced later on or they'd be out hunting or doing other things that were wrong. Heck, during the federal shutdown a few years back, some group came in broad daylight to the refuge and knowing that no employees would be around, they proceeded to cut & bale all the fields that the refuge used for wildlife range and hauled it out on a semi flatbed! Some people are just awful and have to ruin it for the rest.

Sean

5. As an example of how all of us would want tour guides to operate, my wife and I went on a private photo tour conducted by Charleston Photography Tours, which was and still is our only photo tour. One place we went to was the entrance to a plantation that required private permission already obtained from the owner. However, our tour guide properly explained that we didn't have normal access that day because the owner had recently seeded. So, we had a great time capturing photos of the most beautiful live oaks draped in Spanish moss from an area that had no seed.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Yep... Happens here on a local scale too. That is one of the reasons I stopped going on photography tires with any kind of groups, unless I lead them. I've had to many people with a camera think they can do as they please to whomever, whenever and wherever for the sake of an image.

Now I mostly go out on my own and request permission personally if need be.

7. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    This is such a shame to read yet it does highlight the predominantly no-manners society that we sadly live in. :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. This happens everywhere. Some people just want the shot - nothing else matters. Snowy owls have become quite "popular" here the last few years. I will go out in late fall before others start looking. By December the crowds are so large and people get so competitive I stop looking for them. Too many people equals too much stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Would be my guess too.

10. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I only know of a couple of Arts in that business, Morris and Wolfe. Wolfe does a lot of them, I assume it's lucrative or he'd stop. I hope this wasn't him, but he did have one of his workshops in the Palouse area at the end of August. Just read a comment it wasn't Art Wolfe, that's good to know. Met him once in Seattle, he seemed like a nice fellow.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  11. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I was a photography guide for a trip to the Falklands, South Georgia, and the Antarctic Peninsula. There was a felllow along who caused no end of problems. South Georgia and the Antarctic have very defined distances so that people will not disturb nesting birds or marine mammals. We would put up poles to show people where the boundary was for nesting colonies. This guy would move the poles closer to the colony. I watched him walk right through a nesting penguin colony, and when I advised him that it was illegal, he told me that he had worked with birds all over, and that he knew how to carefully walk through a group of birds without disturbing them. I pointed out that all the birds he had walked by had left their nests, and that there were always avian predators waiting to prey on eggs and chicks. Let's just say it was difficult to be polite to the guy. And his first name did start with an "A". His last name was not Wolfe.

12. I can think of an appropriate name for him that starts with an "A."