Another kind of lust

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Beezle, Jul 25, 2005.

1. While I certainly understand LLD, I actually don't have a very strong case of it these days. Seems I have enough lenses to keep me busy.

But I do lust after something else. Other cameras.

Yes, this might sound silly considering the cost of a system, but I don't think that way. I am thinking now that I know pretty much what sort of lenses I use most of the time, I can live with one or two lenses.

And the reason for this is different cameras have different talents, as it were. I owned a 20D along side the D70 for six or eight months, for example. I leaned towards Nikon, but I also appreciated the Canon. What caused me to sell the Canon was that the few downsides went against what I wanted that camera for: low light, carry around stuff. Yep, it disappointed me.

Anyway, so I found myself attracted to the Konica-Minolta 7D and finally decided to buy one and their 28-75 f2.8 lens. And I must say I was not disappointed at all in the results. The Anti Shake thing actually works. The camera's high ISO is clean, but at the expense of detail. But usable enough up to 1600 or so.

And the camera renders color very well. Almost as well as the D2X. An example:

[​IMG]

The camera does have quite a few quirks, but most of them were either interesting or tolerable. I liked the handling and the view finder is even better than the D2X's, IMHO. It was a keeper. Except for one thing. Actually two.

Manual focusing was broken on the one I received. Yep, broken. Apparently a known fault where some clutch or other fails. I also noticed that half the time I needed to reattach the lens several times before the camera would reliably talk to it. Not good things for a brand new camera.

Made me wonder if I got someone else's return. I am a bit gun shy lately after having umpteen problems with D2X focusing, so I opted to pack it up and send it back to B&H rather than have it fixed. I may well buy another one, once I forget how little I liked having the first one break.

In any case, it is an interesting camera, and I my lust to try other cameras remains. I even have a thing for little point and shoots. I always have one of three in my pocket: Fuji F10, Sony P200 or an Olympus C60.