Another LAB COLOR attempt...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Here we go... the colors maybe aren't "very true", but i found interesting how easely one can enhance the colors, post-processing thru "Lab Color" mode.

I allready had found that, sharpening thru "Lab Color" was giving very good results, but it seems that the whole PP can beneficiate of this mode...

Pic #1 is the original JPG file that comes with the RAW files, only resized in ACDSee (not even entered in PS, so totally unprocessed). On the D70, i put all the settings at ZERO (or OFF), as i prefer to spend a bit more time post-processing, so the images usually look rather dull...

[​IMG]

...and #2 is the "Lab Color" version

[​IMG]

I know...!!! ...a bit exagerated, but the whole thing was to see how easy it was to enhance the colors in this mode... The image is still in RGB, though it looks as if it was an sRGB one, isnt'it ?

(I definitly beleive that, in this digital age, sometimes the goal isn't anymore to "re-create" the true colors of life, but to create a new, strong image, as it happened with the painters once the photographers of the 19th century had proven that their art showed the reality better than any painting...)

Your opinion please ?

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
  2. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but it looks very convincing.

Cheers

3. JP
    I need to experiment with this some. This picture demonstrates some very good possibilities for certain images.
    Thanks
    Dave

4. excellent results...very nice :smile:

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think the greens have gone slightly unreal, but the improvement to the other colors in the image are nice. What you may want to do is either change the blend properties for the A channel to tone down the greens, or paint on the layer mask with a black brush at reduced opacity to reduce the effect o the greens.

6. Hi Jeff ! you're right: the greens look almost "fluorescent", but i left them that way, so to make a very strong difference with the redish of the petals... Of course, there's so many levels of enhancing... i'll try and follow your advice !

Is that what you meant ? In Lab Color mode, "Image" > "Adjustment", i clicked on the brightest green, then "Fuzziness" 70, "Hue" -15, "Saturation" -40, "Lightness" +10.

52664473.DSC1528_lab_2.

Cheers,
    J-P.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like very much how LAB "seperates" the colors.

Nice job. I like it.

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

JP, It's ALWAYS about the final image. I have never thought of myself as a little human xerox machine. Sure, there are types of technical photography that require color to be as accurate to life as possible but most of the time this isn't really important. It's about composition, mood and lighting. Color becomes personal and subjective as far as I'm concerned.

The Lab adjusted image above is wonderful. Who cares if it matches the 'reality' of the original set up?

Cheers Brudda!

9. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I like! ...a lot! ...I love saturated colors, so this is wonderful to me!