Another Leica body? This could be interesting...

Check out the link:
http://us.leica-camera.com/home/

I would love it if they released a camera with the same sensor as the M-240, with M-mount, with EVF but no rangefinder. I could use my M-mount glass in its full glory without paying for the rangefinder mechanism! Alternatively I guess this could be a DX sensor camera with EVF, which would be disappointing and completely noncompetitive compared to NEX, Fuji, etc.

Let the speculation begin! We have a couple weeks to ponder, and likely at least 6 months before the product comes to market in any significant quantity, followed by 6 months of firmware updates to make it usable :cool:

Full frame fixed lens camera is my guess. I don't really seem them going mirrorless ILC and cannibalizing the M line, unless they really feel threatened by the competition or if they actually cared about attracting the masses as opposed to being a boutique brand.

Leica with the ultimate tease. I can't afford Leica, but I sure like their stuff. Hopefully it will push competition. I'm betting a smaller, less expensive, and stripped down version of the M240. Kind of like the X-pro1 to the XE-1 from Fuji.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Full frame fixed lens camera is my guess. I don't really seem them going mirrorless ILC and cannibalizing the M line, unless they really feel threatened by the competition or if they actually cared about attracting the masses as opposed to being a boutique brand.
Normally I'd agree, but their user base would almost entirely despise a camera without a rangefinder. However there are tons of people that want to use their glass on a full-frame mirrorless camera. I think that they need to strike while the iron is hot, specifically before Sony can bring a full-frame mirrorless to market.

Leica has everything they need-- favorable native mount, lens arsenal, sensor tuned to short-registration oblique ray angle glass. They just need to engineer the body. It's what Fuji was going for with the XE-1, but they targeted the more budget-friendly market. The rangefinder mechanism is expensive and fiddly, and dropping it should decrease the cost significantly, and the size a little. However if this is a full frame sensor, I bet the price will come in at around $3-4K.

Normally I'd agree, but their user base would almost entirely despise a camera without a rangefinder. However there are tons of people that want to use their glass on a full-frame mirrorless camera. I think that they need to strike while the iron is hot, specifically before Sony can bring a full-frame mirrorless to market.

Leica has everything they need-- favorable native mount, lens arsenal, sensor tuned to short-registration oblique ray angle glass. They just need to engineer the body. It's what Fuji was going for with the XE-1, but they targeted the more budget-friendly market. The rangefinder mechanism is expensive and fiddly, and dropping it should decrease the cost significantly, and the size a little. However if this is a full frame sensor, I bet the price will come in at around $3-4K.
I think a mirrorless FF ILC could be possible, but it really depends on Leica if they want to be a bit more mainstream. The sensor in the M240 can already do LV and is EVF capable. Not to mention Epson just released their new high res EVF. They have all the components to build one. The only reason I'm leaning towards fixed FF camera is that releasing a non-RF ILC body is a big leap for them. That's like Mercedes releasing a budget oriented hybrid car and trying to compete with the Toyota Prius! :biggrin:

IsamuM

Not-quite-
That's like Mercedes releasing a budget oriented hybrid car and trying to compete with the Toyota Prius! :biggrin:
Jonathan, I don't know about the hybrid part yet, but "a budget oriented" car from M-B sounds like the Smart car.

it is actually ...

With the direction photography is taking, it will be a Leica Mini-MP...

MP for Mobile Phone, a smart phone with a rotary dial, tiny rangefinder smart phone camera and no address book cause real phone enthusiast memorize all phone numbers and dial them manually :wink:

I don't really seem them going mirrorless ILC and cannibalizing the M line, ...
Hummm the M line has been mirror-less since 1953 or so, just saying

I suspect an APS-C size CMOS sensor, LCD live view and external EVF, no optical rangefinder mechanism, ability to mount M lenses. This would capitalize on selling more M lenses, but not cut into M orders. Would be cool to have monochrome only sensor, but I doubt Leica would want to dilute the MM.

My M (Typ 240) is still on order that was placed in September. I would opt for a Ricoh GR before the Mini M to add variety and diversification.

I suspect an APS-C size CMOS sensor, LCD live view and external EVF, no optical rangefinder mechanism, ability to mount M lenses. This would capitalize on selling more M lenses, but not cut into M orders. Would be cool to have monochrome only sensor, but I doubt Leica would want to dilute the MM.

My M (Typ 240) is still on order that was placed in September. I would opt for a Ricoh GR before the Mini M to add variety and diversification.
I hope you are correct.

Oh my. According to today's rumour, it will be basically X2 with a slow zoom. APS-C sensor and 28-70mm equivalent, f/3.5-6.4 (!) lens. It seems to have no viewfinder, either, but perhaps an EVF can be added if "connexion pour viseur électronique" means what it sounds like.

http://leicarumors.com/2013/05/28/f...tions-of-the-leica-mini-m-leaked-online.aspx/

My interest is gone. Ricoh GR will be my next second body...
What a dud.... Hard to think of a worse camera to release. I'd rather have a rebadged Panasonic GX2! Maybe throw in a dumb mFT to M-mount adapter and a copy of Lightroom, add $2000, call it a day.

I think Sony will do it. I'd love a pure live-view FX camera for my manual focus glass. I was just out shooting some flowers with my D600 and Zeiss 100/2. It's so darned awkward using the OVF and non-tiltable LCD. If they could make a beefier NEX with a 36mp sensor (or more) that will take my lenses, I'll buy it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom