Another low key portrait-Revised sample attached

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Here's another attempt at a low key portrait. This time instead of a teenager, the "victim" is more womanly.

Shot with the 85mm/f1.4, manual mode, f8 @ 1/100, ISO100, using SB-600 as main and SB-800 as fill. I think this shot also has a white reflector in front to fill in under chin area. My 3rd speedlight is out of commission so I'm currently without a hairlight/background light.

Comments/critiques are welcome!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  2. Very nice shot Kevin and it has just enough seperation between the hair and the dark background to pull it off.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very nice Kevin, the face is very well lit, but you're right, some further separation of hair to bg would'a been a nice touch. What's with the blotchiness and really dark areas of her chest? What's going on there?

4. Obviously my coffee hadn't kicked in when I posted this up. I was up late trying to tone down the whiteness of the chest. What you're seeing is the effects of the vignette added. I won't be able to update the shot till tonight so please overlook that hideous pp job! :redface: It looks really bad on my noncalibrated work laptop but not quite so bad at home. In any case, it'll get fixed tonight when I get home. :smile:

Kinda scarey to think I actually drove to work this morning if my eyes weren't working so well! :wink:

5. Thanks Gordon! I made a dupe layer of her hair and changed it to multiply mode, mask filled with black then a low-opacity white brush to bring out the hair (to make up for the lack of hairlight). At home it looked pretty good but on my darker work monitor, it doesn't look as separated.

6. Ok...let's see if this is a little better. I added one more lightening layer to the hair and reduced opacity, removed the vignette, and played around with the chest area (well, not literally!) :wink:

Any better?
    [​IMG]

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lololol Kevin.

Looks great to me. She is very pretty.

No playing now.

8. Nice portrait Kevin. Boy, that 1.4 is sweeeeet....

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well, since this was asked to be critiqued, I will say while it is better than before, almost all of her chest area is now a shade of grey. Why isn't it just plain 'ol skintone?

10. The second one looks great now. Nice job on the PP.

11. Oh boy, you're making me work for this one! :wink:

She's very pale but she applied heavy makeup on her face. The angle of the light makes her chest practically glow. So I've copied the chest area, changed blend mode to multiply, blurred it out to even the skin tone then dropped the opacity to ~45%. I just reopened the file and dropped the opacity to ~25% and bumped the saturation to get it closer to her facial skin tone. Without doing anything, it's simply too bright and distracting. Thank God this wasn't a paid job...just for practise, but it's a great exercise for me. Thanks for not letting up on me! :wink:

12. Let's see if these show any difference. THe one on the left is the retouched that I just explained, by adding some saturation and reducing opacity. The one on the right is with that layer hidden, basically as shot. Never tried to post 2 side by side photos. Hope it works:

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    By Jove, I think he's got it!

You finally made it real, natural and believable, Kevin. Nice work! Now, next time, you may want to flag the light where it hits her chest, so you don't have to jump through all sorts of hoops making it right in post! Print it!:wink:

14. Pretty darn good if you ask me. Nice work.

15. Thanks, Steve! Thanks for taking the time to force me to do it right and not take the easy way out. Now, to get some/learn about using flags!

Thanks, Justin! I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks to everyone else along the way who has commented!

16. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    The second one is much better, particularly in the chest area, as others have pointed out. It's a nice shot of a lady who deserves those pictures. I think I've seen her eyes elsewhere :smile: .

Ooops, haven't seen your new post of the picture. This is the way to go. Only thing is the shadow under her lip - could take a little bit lighten up.

17. Thanks Heiko! I'll see if I can tackle that lip shadow. Know what to do, just haven't tried that skill yet! :wink:

18. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I'm maybe good in theory, but when it gets down to doing it, I'm lost :Curved: . So you're at least one step ahead :wink: .