1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Another MF Tammy Macro thread

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by The Clam, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I decided to try out an old MF Tamron Adaptall 28-70/3.5 the other day at the Brooklyn Botannical Gardens. My budding photog Amanda wanted to shoot flowers so while she used my 105VR, I used the macro settings on this Tammy. It goes down to 1:4 and was pretty easy to focus on the D3 and surprisingly sharp. All handheld. Does anyone else out there have one of these?

603721874_o4adz-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

604153223_CibZ6-XL.jpg

604151164_C9reA-XL.jpg

603721198_o3mAf-XL.jpg

604178408_wTGBP-XL.jpg

2. Very nice!

3. Thanks. The lens is probably from about 1986 and has hardly been used in the last 20 years. I tried it for a few snaps on the D200 but it just seems easier to use on FX. It was much better in macro mode than I expected.

4. Very nice set. I have the newer motorized version (AF-MF) although I mostly use in in MF for macro work. Good lens.

5. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    I have two of the MF Adaptall macro lenses. They are really nice lenses, IMO.

6. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    nice shots - I like the one with the bee.

I like the idea of using old lenses too...seems everything has to be auto-everything. With a little practice, that focus ring works real well;) 

7. Thanks Alex. My version looks closest to this one:
    http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/44A.html

The specs show a 62mm filter size but mine is 52mm. My zoom ring looks the same as the focus ring; same width and same rubberized covering. That doesn't seem to match the version on the Tamron site. However, it's the only 28-70/3.5-4.5 Adaptall-2 I see so it must be the same. I wonder how close it is optically as the newer version you have.

8. Which ones do you have Kelly?

9. Thanks Jerry. It's definitely fun re-discovering something you already own. My previous tries with this lens on digital were hit and miss, mostly miss. I had a much higher keeper rate with the D3 though. Fewer OOF and exposure was pretty much spot on all day.

10. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    I have the 70-210 3.5 and the 90mm 2.5 MF with the 2X teleconverter. They both have about the prettiest bokeh you could ask for. They just don't meter with my D90 and they are heavy (which happens when you use all glass elements & metal bodies, LOL!).

Your shots look fantastic. What more could you ask for?

11. Thanks Kelly. I started experimenting with the old MF Nikon glass a couple of years ago just to have something to use on an F2AS I received and quickly became hooked on it for use on digital bodies. The non-Nikon lenses are interesting, especially some of the hidden gems out there. That 90/2.5 is supposed to be one of them.

12. Those sure look good!

13. "My budding photog Amanda wanted to shoot flowers so while she used my 105VR, I used the macro settings on this Tammy."

Your shots are really nice, Larry (actually, eye-opening superb.)
    But where are your daughter Amanda's shots?
    :wink: :biggrin:
    Just Curious; Our whippersnappers :Love: see the world different :confused:  than we do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.