Another natural light portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Turn around's fair play. Yesterday I posted a portrait of my 5 yr old taken in available light using a north-facing window. Later that day, my 15 yr old volunteered to sit for me so I could continue to practice. This is one of the resulting shots.

Please feel free to offer comments and/or feedback.

[​IMG]

2. Robear

Robear Guest

Good portrait . . .

Your daughter is very pretty. Our first (a girl) is on the way in a couple months. I worry about the day that my daugther is around your daughter's age, and the string of boys and broken hearts.

Excellent picture.

-R

3. I like it, it's a beatiful picture. Slightly more sharpness would in my opinion make it that much better.

4. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    yup, 15 and wish she was 25. been there...never ends.

I like the pose and lighting and yes maybe a bit more on the sharpness.

For some reason the blue seems out of proportion??? was she leaning back perhaps?

Maybe tilt her head up just a bit to reduce the whites in her eyes?

Boy this is easy.... sitting here judging others after the fact with all the time in the world to pick, pick, pick.

Very good shot, I like it and couldn't do as well!!!

Well done. She should be happy with it.

5. Re: Good portrait . . .

Thanks for the kind words -- she'll appreciate it! Congrats on the new arrival. Hug on them and love on them all you can while they're young. As they get older, things change.

With my older daughter, it's not the string of boys but rather one "serious" boy. Not sure I wouldn't rather have the "string of boys". :?

6. Thanks, Warren. I'll give it a shot and try sharpening it up a bit.

7. I will give this a try. I didn't want to get too sharp since the "rule" is supposed to be softness, especially for women. ;)

Man, you're perceptive. Yes, she was leaning back. She's sitting on a swan back chaise - or oldtime fainting chair. The back, actually the side is sloped and she has her back resting against it, hence the slope.

As for the tilt up, not sure I can get away with it. She has a slightly "turned up" nose, as my mother would say. I was trying to minimize the nostril effect. My fear is if I tilt up more, I'll be battling that. Of course I could try getting higher, that might do it. Fortunately, it's in my in-home studio so it's no biggie to reshoot.

It's always easier to critique someone else's work. No harm done, I appreciate the feedback. Photographing your children is not easy when trying to keep a critical eye on all the portrait photography "quidelines". There's a lot to remember. Then because we're so familiar with the subjects, it's difficult critiquing your own work. That's why I appreciate everyone's input here.

Thanks again for stopping by!