Another NEW D700 Owner

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by [email protected], Jul 25, 2008.

1. Well I bit the bullet and picked up my D700 today. Had a D300 previously - loved that camera but as I mostly use normal to wide lenses I really wanted an 'FX' sensor body. I've been slowly changing over to 'FX' lenses so it was a relatively painless move.

Things I LOVE about the D700 are:

- the VIEW! It feels so nice to be able to return to a 'normal 35mm' viewfinder

- the diopter adjustment is SO much easier/convenient to use

- the 'sound' of the shutter. Boy this camera sounds as smooth as silk compared to my D300 which, in comparison, had a 'klunk' to it.

- ISO 3200 YAH! We know who we are. :wink:

- the nubs that cover the sync socket and 10-pin connector are easier to remove and re-attach to the camera. I hated to ones supplied with the D300

- I find the slightly 'taller' body is more comfortable for me to hold in the shooting position. I still have the MB-D10 from the D300 but I found that combination to actually be too 'tall' for my comfort.

Things I thought would bug me more but actually don't are:

- the roughly 95% viewfinder

- the non locking CF card door

Things that I'm finding hard to get use to are:

- the multi selector. It just seems to have more 'wobble' than I'm use to but then I found the multi selector on the D300 to be quite easy to use. Must be a personal preference or something.

[​IMG]

My first tests were calibrating my 8mm on my pano head for the 360VR photography I do. As you can see something's not right. When I saw the files pop up on my screen I thought to myself "***?!?!?". Turns out the camera default for the Vignette control is set to medium. I discovered vignette control and fisheyes do not make a good combination.

Roger...

2. roger
    CONGRATS
    that is fantastic

thanks so much for the early thoughts....
    and image

i can't wait to hear and see a lot more from you over the next couple of days

3. Thanks Greg!

One other thing I noticed between the D300 and D700. When the focus lever is set to 'S' or 'C' (ie. not 'M') it is easier to manually turn the focus ring on AF lenses (ie. screw drive) on the D700 than it is on the D300. The D300 feels like it has a lot more 'resistance' compared to the D700.

Anyways I'm gonna enjoy using this 'toy'.

Roger...

4. that is an interesting finding
    i can't wait to follow along with your excitement

good luck

5. Roger

I do panorama's, either QTVR or Flash. I have a D300 and have been thinking of buying a D3 or D700 because the wide angle lenses.

Do you think you will be able to do double shot (DS) panorama if using the 8mm and the FX format. The best I can do with the D300 and the 10.5 is 6 horizontals and each zenith and nadir.

Have you looked at the Sunex. There is so many conflicting stories that I no longer know what to think.

My best pano's where with existing light. I usually do this photos inside the hospitals we are building. There is poor lighting.

I would like to know what you think.

Thanks
    Elliot

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  6. Awright Roger! Congrats! I am anxious to hear the shutter sound, the D300 is loud...

7. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hey Roger,
    I hope you like your new camera. Please post some more 8mm 2.8 AIS fish-eye shots. This time without the vignette :biggrin: Iv got serious NAS for the 8mm 2.8 AIS. And Im very curious to se how it works on the FX senser. Great observation on the D-700 by the way. Im going to get one to partner beside my D3. Just....not .....yet.

Greg

8. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Congrats Roger and thx for first observations.

9. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Awesome Roger!

10. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    I noticed the multi selector too, its... mushy not as direct as the D2X/D300/D200/D70/D50/D40's i've used...

11. Elliot,

The 10.5mm and D300 is an awesome combination and produces a very high quality 360vr.

Right now I'm testing out various settings on my NN5L pano head to see if there is any diff in shooting 3+Z and 4+Z. Final pano size is the same but the 4+Z may help to give PTGui a bit more overlap for alignment/blending.

I'll try the multi row shot but to be honest I think a 15/16mm would be better suited for producing a higher quality pano on 'FX'. I thought about the Sunex but have been happy with the 8mm/3.5 - at least on the D300.

Roger...

12. Greg,

Hey my NAS is to at least try the 13mm f/2.8 but it probably won't happen in my lifetime. :wink:

Sorry I didn't clarify my original post - I'm using the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 lens. For a higher quality pano on 'FX' I'm going to later add either the 16mm f/2.8 Nikkor or the 15mm Sigma. Means more shots per pano but it will ultimately yield a larger high quality image.

Roger...

13. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Roger, do you know any local store who has the D700? Where did you get yours?

14. Interesting

Roger

Very interesting comments. Right now I am doing 6+Zenith and Nadir. I am trying to reduce the amount of photos I take. If I could manage 3+Zenith, I would be happy.

What are you doing with the nadir? Are you pasting your logo. Sometimes I go to PS and patch it the best way possible. It is to much work. I have to learn how to do better on the nadir.

There is lot of conflicting stories on the Sunex. Some say it can achieve a 2 shot panorama but others say the best they could do is 3 shots. I need to be able to do 2 or 3 shots under low level light.

Which player are you using?

Thanks
    Elliot

15. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    At one point I did own a 8mm 2.8 Fish-eye. But sold it for food/film while living in Toronto when I was 21. Tough times back than. I was down to 185 pounds. Which is scarry considering Im 240 right now and not fat. Anyways, I will get another Nikkor 8 2.8 AIS. I was just looking at a shot I took in Nathon Philips square of Rick Hanson. He was the guy who wheel chaired around the world:eek:. I was standing right behind him with the sun and baloons rising in the background . No other lens could have giving me the shot I made. Once you look through a true 180 degree lens, from that point the world is never the same.

Gregory.

16. Sorry, no. I preordered mine from Henry's the day after it was announced.

Roger...

17. Elliot,

I'm still fine tuning the lens to the pano head but so far my best results are shooting 3 @ 0-120-240 with a tilt of -5 deg plus a zenith shot. This is giving me an image with full 360 x 180 coverage (ie. no 'holes'). I normally only shoot a nadir *if* it looks like it might be a complicated area to 'clone' - but I hate doing it that way as I have only moderate PS skills. I find cloning using the vanishing point filter to work fine for 95% of the time - at least, for me, it has so far - and it's much easier than trying to patch in a nadir shot.

Personally I think using the 8mm on the 'FX' sensor *just* gets by in quality for a full screen 360vr. If you're shooting for a demanding client I would definitely use a lens like the 15mm Sigma or 16mm Nikkor and do 6 around plus z (and n if needed). It's more work but I think in the end the final quality of the pano is noticeable.

Roger...

18. Gregory,

Great story! Yup I remember Rick's fine efforts as I do Terry's and all the other great Canadians. Any chance you're fellow Ryersonian?

Roger...

19. Elliot,

Forgot to add - being a 'Mac' user I'm partial to QT so my output is geared to that. Again if I was doing it in a commercial capacity I'd output for Flash and whatever the current 'darling player' happens to be.

Roger...

20. Roger

Interesting comments. I am trying to re-define my workflow in order to reduce the workload. From what I hear and read, if I use an FX camera I probably can reduce the amount of photos. The problem is not taking the photos is all the stitching. The more photos the more complex to stitch them.

I have used QTVR and many of the other players. Right now I am experimenting to see which one I am going to keep.

Please keep us posted on your findings.

Thanks
    Elliot