Another new D700 owner.....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Just bought a used D700 (one year old, less than 1,000 clicks) this weekend! :biggrin:

Now I'll be spending a lot of time reading up in this section!

Any comments on using the camera?

I guess the main lens I'm missing is the 14-24. I hope to find one used....

I understand my 24-70, 105 micro and 70-200 will perform "differently" on the D700. (Apparent less DOF, ???) What should I know or look for?

Will the 200-400 with 1.4 tele be better quality or equal to the D300 with 200-400?

Any comments or advice appreciated!!

Goodness Karen, you have quite the lens collection - which pairs perfectly with the D700. Yes, the DOF is a little thinner than your D300 (I used to have one too), so you just have to be mindful of it when shooting wide open on the f/2.8 lenses. Enjoy the camera - I've been super-happy since I got mine last year.

I don't think the difference will be too big. Obviously less dof and shorter focal length. The 70-200 will have some vignetting (if its the VRI). The main thing I had to get used to were the focus points of the D700 being so central compared to the D300. Also I had some serious banding at first when shooting high ISO with bright lightsources in dark environments. Turning off the whole d-lighting thing pretty much solved that for me.

I love the D700, I am sure you will too! :)

Karen, I just picked one up last year as well. I think you'll love the camera.

As for lenses performing "differently", you'll notice the aforementioned change in DOF, as well as an apparent decrease in "reach". Your 24-70 is going to look like a 24-70, not a 36-105. Great for the wide end, not so great at the tele end.

I picked up the D700 book from David Busch, and it has helped me with all of the custom settings and such (explanations, suggested settings, etc...). But I came over from a D70, so it was a bit of a change for me. :biggrin:

The 14-24... hope you find a good used one. I don't use mine as much as I could, but I don't think I'll be letting mine go - it is such a nice lens.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, guys!

I'm hoping I have the best of both worlds. D700 for normal/low light shooting and the D300 for animals/birds.

What about macro? My 105 is going to be notieably "shorter"!

Congrats Karen on your new acquisition, I sure you're just gonna love it. After using it, you will see where it shines over the others...
Most of the setting that you use in your D300 will be applicable to the D700.
In fact I have set up both my D300 & D700 with virtually identical settings so that when I go from one to the other I'm not looking for things as there all in the same place..:smile:
The only difference is on the D700, I have set the bottom function button to "Virtual Horizon", as it does come in handy at times...

The 105 will be great on FX, but noticeably shorter than when you used it on DX... This is why a lot go for the Sigma 150 macro for FX, because of its length...
Your 12-24 f/4 (DX I presume), will work in FX mode from about 17mm up if it's a Tokina as this is what I have and use but can't comment if it will work if yours is a Nikon 12-24...
Now go out and have a lot of fun...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the info Wally!

I'm doing an exotic lizard,reptile shoot in June...so a longer macro is very tempting! Ugh...I always find something else I "need"! LOL!

My 12-24 is Nikon...I'll have to see what the useable range it...however, I'm still recovering from the "sudden" decision to get the D700! Woe is me....:tongue:

Karen, Welcome to the club! You will love it. The first thing I noticed was the view finder. Its magnificent! The better VF alone will enable to you do more than your D300 could.

Now for my tips:
1. Trust in your ISO. It is better to bump the ISO higher to get a properly exposed picture, than to keep the ISO lower and fix it in post.
2. Buttons Buttons Buttons. Use them all. Go into the Custom Settings menu and setup them to your liking. It helps to be able to stay in the shot and just push a button, rather than having to look at the LCD to go through the menu.
3. Custom Banks. Set them up and name them what they are for. I have one titled "Basic" for when I give the camera to someone who doesn't know as much as I do. "Scott" for when I shoot. Manual mode with focus attached to AF-ON button. Not shutter release. "Weddings" for when I am in doors at a venue so I can use a combination of flash, and Auto ISO.
4. DOF. Learn to love it. the D700 makes everything special! I shoot a lot with my 50 1.4G. I focus on the eyes (f/1.4), and the ends of the Eyelashes are out of focus. Work it. It is your best friend.
5. Shoot in RAW. The colors that the D700 puts out, are fantastic! shoot in RAW mode to take full advantage of this. I shoot in 14-Bit and Love it!
6. Just Keep Shooting! In order to fully understand what this massive, beautiful piece of machinery can do, PUSH IT! TO ITS LIMITS! you will learn what it can do and how well it does it.

And if you ever have any questions, throw them up here on the Cafe.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to offer such great advice! The D700 just arrived - I'll be unpacking it this afternoon.

I read the D700 tips thread here on the Cafe. I was surprised at the small number of postings....since the D300 tip thread is very long. However, I think the D700 is set up very similar to the D300 so maybe that's the reason.

Are the colors from the D700 different than the D300? I always thought that with the D300 Nikon "lost" the Nikon color pop.....(or maybe Nikon "lost" it in the D200...I forget!)

I would say that they lost it in the D300. I have a 200 and i think the colors (especially skin) are great.

The colors that come out of the D700 pop more. Especially the higher saturated colors. But it also does B&Ws extremely well. So keep that in mind :tongue:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Well - got it unpacked. I can't tell that it was ever used! Whoopee! Battery pack will probably get put on my D300. I'm still going through the included Thom book and reference stuff.

I'll set up it similar to my D300...AF-On, etc.

Took one quick snap to check actuations. Under 1,000!

Yep, shutter is louder than D200 or D300. Seems a little hefty with the 24-70 - but can't wait to shoot it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Hey, Scott! New avatar! Cool!

Anyway, I used the D700 to shoot photos of some other items I have. I used my 24-70, f8, indoors, natural light, ISO 200, hand held on an off-white background.

I noticed two things. First f8 @ about 2 1/2 feet was a shallower DOF than I expected.

Second, the shots came out a lot brighter than I'm used to with the D300. I even dialed in -1 exp comp and they were still bright. Not clipping the whites - just BRIGHT!

Due to all the storms, I haven't been able to get out with it yet. So, I'm still making sure it is set up the way I'd like....

For those that use ACR, what camera profile do you use? Adobe Standard, D2X Mode 1,2 or 3, or ???

I think she is :biggrin:

I use Lightroom, which is identical except it is a stand alone program. I don't worry about color profiles to be honest with you. I edit my images right down to custom CPs. if that makes sense. I adjust every slider on each image I edit (unless it is a batch edit from a wedding or something).

what camera profiles have you settled on for the D700?
Hi Karen...

If you have Nikon CNX2, what I would recommend is to do this, take several different shots (Scenery, Portrait etc) in RAW, open them up in CNX2 and in the "Develop Section" try changing the Picture profiles and see what you like. Also you can adjust the contrast etc. Once you know how you like it, then duplicate these settings in the camera and it will give you close to what you want straight out of the camera...

I mostly use Portrait or some custom settings but my most used one is Fuji_Velvia, and you can down load them free here ( CLICK LINK HERE )...
Also you can get the 3 Nikon D2X profiles from Nikon's site which are very good as well...
Don't forget to get the 3 Nikon D2X profiles for CNX2 as they can also be downloaded from Nikon's site when you get them for your camera...

There are a bunch of custom profiles there but the one's I tend to use are in these.
Fuji_Velvia - Agfa_Optima - Fuji_Astia - Fuji_Superia_Reala

Also some Kodak profiles

Kodak_Ektachrome - Kodak_Ektachrome_Pulled - Kodak_Kodachrome - Kodak_Portra

BTW, all these Picture Settings can also be loaded into CNX2 so you can see what there like and apply them while processing.

Also I keep an old 256Mb card (but any one will do) in my camera bag with all the different Picture Controls on there as you only have a limited amount to can install onto the D700.
So if I really want too, it's a quick easy to add profiles.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom