Another newbie checks in . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Worley, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Harris invited me over when he saw my exasperation over the latest troll. A Dutch troll this time, and he could at least have written in Dutch to make it more interesting.

I'm also stalking Uncle Frank. I first enountered the curmudgeon at Silicon Investor. After the bubble burst, I followed him to dpreview and began spending what money I had left on rapidly depreciating camera doodads. Now I've followed him here. There's nowhere to hide.

Today I'm busying myself trying to print this picture for a local show I've been invited to enter. (I think they invite everyone who pays the $30.)

Anyhow, glad to have been invited over here. And glad to see so many familiar and respected names, and a new name for someone from the Montreal area (where I understand it's a fine day today) doing a bad job of trying to conceal his true identity.

Cheers,

Mike

large.

2. Hey Mike, what a shot. The lighting is just awesome. What time of day, lens, etc.

So glad you joined. I think you'll have fun here and there are no trolls except for me. (and Bill Dewey, but he wont really admit it)

Enjoy the coffee and relax, have a cup on me.

3. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Welcome Mike. Stunning photo. I have seen many photos of this beautiful place in the Tetons. this by far is one of the best i have seen.
    regards

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shot Mike....

Welcome to the Cafe. I think that you will enjoy it here.

Regards,

Frank

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That is great! I love the color and the mountains are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the board.

6. Mike

Welcome I think you will like it here I feel honored to be hanging around such great photographers.

7. Wow, that is one nice image. I'm afraid to think what it would like if I tried to make something like that. First problem would be finding the place, second waiting for the light, and then I'd still probably screw it up :oops: .

That is really gorgeous Mike, glad to see all you folks around, gives me things to strive for, out of my "comfort zone" so to speak.

By the way, I saw that troll thread today and couldn't believe that anyone even bothers anymore. Guess if we all leave they will find a new crop to bother, eh?

8. Mike -

You can post pics like that all you want. That is fantastic! Do share some info about it please...

Thanks!

9. Image details, etc.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I'm flattered by the interest in the image I included with the first message, and here's some details:

Another dpreview member, Joe Colson, and I met at the Tetons on September 22 last year, a few days before a workshop with Ron Reznick in Yellowstone.

We knew where and when to meet to get images like this from reading Joseph K. Lange's "Photographer's Guide to Yellowstone & the Tetons." This particular barn is one of three "Mormon Barns" described in Lange's book.

This particular image was taken at 6:29 am, and there were literally dozens of other photographers arrayed to our left and right taking virtually the same image. For several mornings in a row, the light was perfect and you couldn't miss.

But it was cold - for a guy from Phoenix, anyway - and standing around for 20 minutes or so tested your choice of cold weather gear.

Wide-angle lenses and digital cameras abounded, and I was no different. I was using a D100, and after a few images I decided I wanted some of the telescoping effect of a telephoto lens to bring the mountains closer. So this was shot with a 70-200, but at only @ 70mm. (So I guess the 28-70 @ 70mm might have produced the same effect.)

To get virtually everything in focus, I focused where Joe told me to (he had the hyperfocal charts), and used an aperture of f/16 at 1/20th.

The Tetons and Yellowstone in Fall are absolutely stunning, especially for someone coming from a place where there are few leaves.

Mike

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice photo process description Mike....

Simple yet chock full of useful information.

Thanks!!

Frank

11. Let me add my welcome to all the others. I have spent many interesting days in and near the tetons and Jackson Hole. You have captured a beautiful image of that magical place and should feel proud of what you have. I hope you will blow this up big and hang it on your wall in addition to the contest you might enter and sales you might make.

Gordon

12. Thanks, Gordon . . .

I have to say that you are very close to one of my most favorite places - Bryce Canyon. Last Thanksgiving we spent in Panguitch, and were rewarded with about 8 inches of fresh snowfall. And the next day dawned clear and bright. The red rocks, blue sky, and thick, fresh snow everywhere were a photographer's dream!

Regards,

Mike

13. You could hide on the Siebel or the Gemstar forum, Mike. I can't go near either of them without remembering lost fortunes and breaking into tears :-/.

Oh, what a glorious scape! Welcome to the cafe, and show lots more like it.

large.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Mike!

Good to see you. Yeah, Harris invited me too. Cool. A place for shooters.

Nice shot of South Mountain you've got there.

;)[/quote]

15. Wow shot and welcome aboard ...

Great shot of a superb landscape.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris!!

Welcome to the Cafe.... :p

See anyone that you recognize? :lol:

Glad to have you on board.

Regards,

Frank

17. Awesome image. Thanks for sharing the image and other info.

18. Re: Hey Mike!

[/quote]

Yeah, and a pretty good job getting the towers cloned out, don't you think? But making the guard shack look like a barn was even harder!

Happy to recognize so many people around here!

Regards,

Mike

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Welcome Mike,
    Great to see you here.

That is one dynamic photo, art, image you laid on us. Raises the bar pretty high.

Excellent.

Cheers
    Gale

20. Re: Image details, etc.

Most hyperfocal charts are calculated for film camera. For digital camera, do we have to worry about the focal length factor? If so, how do you use the charts?