Another noob D300s question

Sorry about all the newbie questions that were probably answered long ago!

How come sometimes the shutter speed just shows "Lo"? Why doesn't it show the actual speed, wouldn't that be more useful?

It says Lo because the light is too Low to make a speed reading, if the camera is able to give a numerical value it will do so.

Conversly if there's too much light it will say Hi, because the light value is too High.

Hope this makes sense!

But I swear I took a pic when it said lo, and it was 1/3s. It can display that alright.

Or maybe I was dreaming, not sure. Thanks.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It isn't that the speed can't be displayed, often it can.

It is deliberately not showing you the speed because there isn't enough light to make a reading, as it says in message 2 above.

In other words the light meter in the camera only works across a specified range of brightness. See the manual...

But I have tried it again, took a (from memory) shot when it said Lo and it turns out to be a 1" shot, it was exposed fine. It would be more useful to me that it show 1" rather than Lo.

Sorry about all the newbie questions that were probably answered long ago!

How come sometimes the shutter speed just shows "Lo"? Why doesn't it show the actual speed, wouldn't that be more useful?

Have you discussed this issue with Nikon? I do not believe we are going to be able to help you on this one. The camera meter, as has been said, has a certain range and the info in the viewfinder will show LOW just to warn the operator that a low shutter speed will require some firm support to take the picture or the use of flash. Nobody here can tell you why Nikon decided to use LOW instead of the actual low shutter speed.
Read the instructions manual, it is all there and now that you know what LOW means, steady that camera on a tripod and keep on shooting.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

It says Lo because the light is too Low to make a speed reading, if the camera is able to give a numerical value it will do so.

Conversly if there's too much light it will say Hi, because the light value is too High.

Hope this makes sense!

I thought my D200 was just being friendly!

'Lo!

Hi!

:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom