Another NX question

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Chris C, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I have just recently started messing with the trial version of NX. I've been running into images the NX says it cannot load. Why is that?

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    It would be helpful if you posted some more info, i.e. what format are the images, what camera produced them, file size, etc..

Kinda hard to guess at the problem from what you've given so far.

I haven't had any problems with NX opening .nef or .jpg files from the D70 or D200.

Bill

3. D70, .nef.

I get as high as 10% of my images which NX says it "cannot load". Don't know what else to tell you that might help.

4. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Chris,

I haven't run into that problem(yet). All the D70 .nef's I've tried to open in NX come up fine.

Are you running the latest update(v. 1.1)? Have the latest .NET updates from Windows Update? Maybe try an uninstall/reinstall on NX?

Are the files OK? Do they open in PS? Do you have backups of the files that don't open and can you open them from the backups? Have you run chkdsk on your photo drive?

I'm just throwing things out here but if you have a good current install and everything's up-to-date, maybe you've got file corruption on the affected files. Running chkdsk to identify bad sectors on the drive and reloading from backups might help. But if they open in PS or ACR, I'm at a loss for an explanation.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Bill

5. Thanks, Bill. I didn't think to check them with PS because I only have PS7 and can't process RAW images there. But I can view them.

In answer to your question.........................no, they wouldn't open in PS7 either!!!!! The files must be corrupted. So at least I know it's nothing to do with NX.

6. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Chris,

Glad I could be of some help. Sorry to hear about your problem and I hope you've got backups....

If you've got corrupted files you might want to consider replacing your drive(s) in the near future. They don't last forever and once they go, they're gone and so is everything on them. Unless you want to shell out big bucks for a data recovery, and even that's kind of iffy for results.

Chkdsk is a stop-gap measure, it will map out problem sectors on your drive but it's barely adequate at best. Spinrite, from Gibson Research Corp.(grc.com) is a great drive-mapper program but it takes absolutely-bloody-forever to run and it doesn't recover lost data. If time is a consideration, you're better off replacing the drive, reloading your OS and programs and restoring your data from backups.

FWIW, I've had the best luck with the Hitachi Deskstar and Seagate Barracuda drives. So-so results from Western Digital(except for the Raptor) and a very unfavorable experience with Maxtor drives. I had three of them bomb out in a 6-month period. Enough for me to cross them off my list.....

Hope you get it all sorted out,

Bill

7. Nothing wrong with the drive..............it's the camera. It's done it ever since I first bought it. Can't get Nikon to respond to my complaints about it. It seems to happen if I shoot too quickly after a previous shot. I had just forgotten about it since it had been so long since I'd used the camera. The only thing I can do is to expose myself to the mercy of their repair shop and reach for my wallet.

8. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hadn't thought about the camera. Maybe something in the buffer memory falling apart?

Hope you get it sorted out. I hate to think of anyone losing images.

BOL,

Bill

9. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    You might try a different CF card.

-- Russ

10. That's what I was thinking. Also, I had one reader once that for certain cards, wouldn't read all the files, they looked like they were cut in half.

Readers are pretty cheap, I'd try a different reader with the problem card and a new card too before sending to repair. You just might be able to save those images. Also try using the camera USB cable and download straight from camera.

11. I have a 1 GB card, and two 2 GB cards.......................all three exhibit the problem. I never thought of the reader. I'll try a USB cable next time and see if the reader is the problem. But I've a gut feeling it's the camera.