Another one of Lexi

Discussion in 'People' started by Donzo98, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    My girl again... ISO 800 and the D2X. Noise Ninja too. :smile:

[​IMG]

2. Very cute Don and looks good at ISO 800.

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Noise?

Do you guys see a lot of noise in this one?

Don

4. Yes, I do see noise. I noticed that you shot this at 1/500. Perhaps you could have got more light using a slower shutter speed. More light usually means less visible noise. (At least, that's what I see in my pics...) Did you use in-camera NR? that works fairly well in my D70.

Noise aside, nice pic of a cute kid!

5. Hi Donzo,

For some reason the noise removing is not going so good. You have beautifull daughter there. And don't worry it took me alot off time to get the right noise removal ways. First of all the D2X have so many pixels that the best way to look at a photo for noise is at 50% zoom level. 100% is also good but not at 33 or 67% zoom levels because then it can give strange effects with D2X files.

I tried to edit your photo i hope you dont mind. It was hard to work on smaller compressed file hope you like it. I use the lens blur in Adobe Photoshop and i used some lab colour and edit the skin tones and edited with Neat image.

Before
    --
    [​IMG]

After
    --
    [​IMG]

6. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Vince...
    All I can say is WOW!!!! That is awesome. Thanks. BTW... I think I have decided that the D2X is not really for me (at least for now). Im going back to the D2HS. Look on FM... you may see my "new X" on the market.

Don

7. Wow stop .... Don't sell the X seriously. Give it little bit time. It is just camera that needs some work. But in the end it pays back. Or do you want to go for a D200?

Did you buy the camera new or did you buy it off somebody. Is it setup up with preloaded curve or do you shoot in normal mode.

8. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Vince...
    I bought it used and got a good deal on it. I dont have any custom curves in it. Just shooting in A mode.

You wouldnt sell it? It seems the HS is quite good as well and better at high ISO's.

Don

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Keep the X.... that is a fantastic camera. Stay away from high ISO for now.
    I have never shot with a high iso.. Don't need to. I will not use high ISO.

f2.8 lens is a fantastic way to go. Portraits on tripod nice light and 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 and practice till you get it......Very inexpensive lens.

You just need to learn a bit more photography etc. It doesnt come overnight. Practice practice Practice.

Ask alllll kinds of questions here. Lots of help.

There are no dumb questions.

Trust me it is not the camera. You can learn with any camera. You already have this one. It should last you years.

A 24-120 VR not expensive is great hand held and fast. If you don't wan't to use a tripod and chaseing after the kids all the time. You can carry it for hours. It is a true pleasure to use and a great performance lens.

I may sell mine. I am getting the 18-200 VR, depending on the performance of it, whether I keep the other one. Although the thought of giving that one up is a terrible thought to me ....

You can do it.

We will all help you. Processing is another learning curve and we will all be willng to help.

Chins up. Good shooting to you.

Merry Christmas

10. Don...you don't really mean to sell your X. It is a demanding camera but so much to learn so don't give up on it quite yet.

11. I have no experience with the D2 series of cameras so I cannot comment on the noise differences between the H and X. However, I do have some experience with noise! :eek: I think that the amount of noise is directly proportional to the amount of correct exposure, if that makes any sense. The more light you let in, the better the noise levels. Your shot appears to me to be quite underexposed. I realize that it was in mixed lighting but if you are not going to use some fill flash then you are going to have to sacrifice some of the background highlights in order to get the face correctly exposed. I accidentally left my D70 ISO on 1250 and shot this:
    [​IMG]
    I pp'd this in NC and set the noise reduction value to 3. I also used the SB800 w/diffuser dome set to the first notch in the up angle position. There is a severe degradation of the quality on the left side of her face where the light falls of, but the majority of her face looks pretty good to me. Blow it up to original size and the noise is fairly apparent, but not at this size. At least not to me.

I think that light is the key to avoiding noise. It's not the camera. Sure, the D2X may take a lot more work to master then the D70, but I believe it's worth the effort; especially since you already own the camera...

12. Hi Donzo,

The D2Hs is also great camera but is build the same like D2X. There is nothing wrong with the both camera's but both camera's demand some extra photography skills. So that is not a problem. Because we all here are friendly bunch of people we love to help each other out.

So if you use the D70, D100, D1X, D2H, D200, D2X or whatever other nikon camera we would help you with technique to post processing. Your photo's is nothing wrong with but i think it is in the settings to start with.

First of all some questions:

-Do you use Adobe Camera Raw 3.2 (because this one reads the white
    balance better from the encrypted NEF files) ?

-Do you shoot raw or jpg?

-Do you have your settings in Adobe Camera Raw calibrated if not i could
    give you the settings so you can use it with D2X files.

-High iso noise needs abit more noise reduction if your exposure is off?
    Settings and help for Noise reduction we can give you if you need it.

-Did you upgraded your D2X with the newest firmware (it removes the redish
    cast in the White Balance settings)

-If you have problems with Whitebalance use grey card or pringles lid (yes
    the half gray transparant lid on the box of chips) or more exspenisive
    expodisc. White balance can help alot to get better results.

-After firmware update the high ISO noise is getting lesser and the Noise
    reduction seems to work even better.

-Ask everything you want or need help with we are here to answer the
    questions. There are no stupid questions only dumb answers.

So give it little bit more time if you like and i hope you can benefit from our help. You can even send me private messages if you like personal help or you can send me email.

13. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Vince,
    Thank you so much!! I will keep you posted as to my progress with the X. It is not sold yet (and I think I am going to keep it). After all, itis the best Nikon makes.:smile:

Don

14. Very cute little girl. BTW our first grandchild was born a month ago, and yes, another Lexi.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2005
  15. That is some great news. :smile: