Another Pileated Woodpecker

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Shot in my back yard forest. We have a bunch of old dead fir trees that these guys love to feed in.

Cheers

Tim

Pileated-Woodpecker-(77).

Pileated-Woodpecker-(77)a.

2. Awesome Tim, such an interesting bird.

Martin

3. Sheesh Martin - it doesn't get any better. Were you using a blind?

4. Hi Rory. Can I assume that you meant Tim rather than Martin? :smile:

I was not using a blind for these shots. As long as you keep fairly still, Pileated Woodpeckers are one of the most approachable woodpeckers. They were coming to eat the berries on the native Red Osier Dogwoods in my yard. There is an old dead snag right in amongst the Dogwoods, which they would reguarly land on before going for the berries. So I just stood nearby with my tripod and waited for them to land on the snag. They also come for apples in Oct/Nov.

Cheers

Tim

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pretty amazing images Tim. The only times that I've seen a Pileated, they were very skittish. These are wonderful. :smile:

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Tim, I have to agree with Frank on all counts. These are amazing shots; and I've sat for hours watching our male scout my position while maintaining a safe distance. On the other hand, the female is sometimes quite nonchalant.

7. Great capture. I've seen this Pileated, but couldn't even start to get close enough for a shot.

Very nice.

8. ok I am envious.
    Great work!

9. I've only had success with pileateds when I find them busy doing something, like in your dogwood. When they are out and about, it seems they just keep on moving. Perhaps someone can tell us more about which habitats we should look for in the wild.

10. Hi Muril

Like most Woodpeckers, when they are busy feeding, they can be very approachable. Pileated, when they see you, will generally move to the opposite side of the tree they are working on. They will then peak around the side of the tree, every once and a while, to see what you are doing. If you keep still and just wait, they will usually work there way around and up the tree. Like most creatures, some are tamer than others, but I have always been able to work my way quite close to Pileated. Our back forest has a stand of dead trees where they come and drill for bugs and larva.

As far as habitats go, that may very from different areas of North America. Generally, they like forested areas with lots of older dead trees. Their drillings are easily recognized when found. The drillings are usually up to 3 x 6 inches and can be 4 or 5 inches deep. Their main food is drilling for bugs and larva, but will also go for berries, fruit and suet.

Cheers

Tim

11. As I was saying to Martin, between you two, set the bar high.............still think Rory and I should come check out your backyards. LOL!!!!!!!!! Great job Tim

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW he is a beauty. Great shot.

13. Tim,
    Thanks for the pointers. Looks like I just need to be more patient. My two successful pileated shots were situations were the bird was so preoccupied that I could easily shoot all I wanted. (1) Eating bugs or larva from a fallen tree limb. The bird was sitting on the ground only a few feet from me, and (2) Cleaning out a nest cavity in a palmetto. The bird would stick its head into the nest and grab some debris and then come out and throw debris up into the air. It repeated this behavior for several minutes. This was on a tree that a storm has since destroyed in the Everglades.
    Thanks again,
    Muril