Another printer problem. Attn: Richard (GrowlTiger) and MortyCapp.

I hate to start another thread on my problems with my HP Laserjet 402dn, but I fear that my current problem may have been caused by changes made from suggestions in this thread from last Fall.

Once yearly, in the Spring, I have need to print about 40 or 50 prepaid postcards that I get from the U.S. Post Office. I have done this nicely on this HP printer for about three years. In the printer interface on my iMac I created a custom paper size of 3.5 x 5.5 inches and chose printing on both sides. Page 1 is the message which goes on one side. After it prints I flip the card and load it and it prints page 2, which is the address, on the other side. The cards are loaded into Tray 1 which is the flip-down front-loading tray.

This year, doing the same things I've done before, it prints across the card as if it is in Portrait orientation:

_JZ62689.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But the printer interface shows as though it is going to print correctly:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 10.14.48 AM.png

Richard and Morty Capp will remember that with their help last Fall I changed this printer to a fixed IP address. I fear this messed up something in the printer software that is causing this.

Any suggestions?

Not familiar with the printer but looks like you may need to select:

Print on both sides of the paper Flip on short edge - Should flip the page like a landscape type book

Orientation - Try selecting Landscape

Not familiar with the printer but looks like you may need to select:

Print on both sides of the paper Flip on short edge - Should flip the page like a landscape type book

Orientation - Try selecting Landscape

Glad you brought those things up. I've tried all of those settings to no avail.

If you explicitly click on "Landscape" you get this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.10.11 AM.png

Nick beat me to it this time:)

But your answer suggests that it should actually print correctly orientated if you select Portrait, and flip on long edge - strange I know but...

It seems that you had this working in the past so I hope you can forgive a ramble in the hope that I may trigger something that helps:

Paper sizes are normally declared as width first followed by height, so your postcard size of 3.5" x 5.5" should be correct for a paper of that size orientated in the printer tray as landscape i.e. short edge to the top of the printer tray which will feed the paper through the print mechanism short edge first. What would happen in print if you defined a new custom size as 5.5" x 3.5"?

The attachment shows what I believe should happen if you select as shown. If it does then you need to change radio buttons to Flip on short edge and Landscape orientation.
JimPrinter.jpg

If this does not work I suggest that you may need to start again and trash the printer driver then reinstall.

Fixing the previous problem should not have created the issue you have.
How do you select the page size?
Difficult to fix without the same set up but I could give it a go with my other HP printer but it has an ADF, is your manual ?
I would break it down step by step.
Page 1 is OK.
Reverse is not?

So I have some good news and some bad news.
I have created a test word file and sent it to my printer from word with the following settings.
The differences I could spot are
-that I forced the driver to be on Landscape mode, not Auto
-I set customs to 5.5 x 3.5 and not 3.5 x 5.5 (metrics on mine)

I remember in the past I had some issues like these and were either due to settings mismatch between the software and the driver, incorrect settings in the driver or me manually flipping the paper the wrong way.
Sometimes I used to print to PDF first and then send the PDF to the printer.

Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• test 1.PNG
    test 1.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 60
Ok here is the good news.
I am not surprised.
Here is the bad:
All the problems I had were with PDF from Adobe, including a massive bug that had all acrobat PDF print a 2 inch black circle in the middle of all pages.
I switched to non Adobe PDF readers, like FoxIt.
You might want to try.

Try switching the paper size from 3.5 x 5.5 to 5.5 x 3.5.

That's an idea worth trying.

So I have some good news and some bad news.
I have created a test word file and sent it to my printer from word with the following settings.
The differences I could spot are
-that I forced the driver to be on Landscape mode, not Auto
-I set customs to 5.5 x 3.5 and not 3.5 x 5.5 (metrics on mine)

I remember in the past I had some issues like these and were either due to settings mismatch between the software and the driver, incorrect settings in the driver or me manually flipping the paper the wrong way.
Sometimes I used to print to PDF first and then send the PDF to the printer.

Let me know how it goes.

I tried setting it as 5.5 x 3.5 inches. I've been using a sheet of plain paper cut to the right dimensions as a substitute until I get it right, which has worked in the past but not now...

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.24.42 PM.png

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom