Another processing disaster? (C41 this time)

Hi!

Apparently, I'm facing a streak of bad luck these days. Things that used to work turn out horrible now. Today I fetched 10 rolls of film from the drugstore, which sends film to a larger lab somewhere in Germany. While the medium format stuff looks good, the single 35mm roll (Portra 160NC) shows kind of a marble structure all across the strip (from start to end, including the perforated area). Here is a crop of the first frame. is this a processing fault? Or maybe wrong storage? I'm pretty sure the film was not expired...

This really sucks :-(

Torsten

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

scan35_2011_04_02-01_example von Torsten Wolf auf Flickr

I got the reply from the lab today - they claim, the film was expired and/or stored in the wrong place. A standard reply, I guess.

Tomorrow I'll inform them, that the roll was good until 2012 and stored in the vegetable cooler before it went into the camera.

Still upset :-/

I got the reply from the lab today - they claim, the film was expired and/or stored in the wrong place. A standard reply, I guess.

Tomorrow I'll inform them, that the roll was good until 2012 and stored in the vegetable cooler before it went into the camera.

Still upset :-/
Did you scan by yourself at home, or is that the lab scanning?

I do hope you let it warm up sufficiently after taking it out of the cooler, it could be condensation on the film in the camera.

I do hope you let it warm up sufficiently after taking it out of the cooler, it could be condensation on the film in the camera.
That would also be my best guess.

I doubt that the lab is correct about expired film although poor storage could account for such i.e. too high temp or near chemical gas vapours. Your storage though would seem to indicate this not the case.

I am guessing here but it is just possible that this is due to water/stabiliser marking during the drying process and there is some chance that you may be able to restore the film to some degree. I would consider rinsing and putting through stabiliser solution then gently squeeging before hanging up to dry - perhaps your lab can assist.

I'm not quite sure which roll I put into the camera - one from the fridge or one from the bag. In case it was a cool roll, it had 2-3 hours to heat up... maybe not enough?

I've never seen such a result before, but then I changed nothing, i.e., the way I treat my film and the lab I send it to. That makes it difficult to find the root cause.

I'll take one of the strips and give Tony's suggestion a try. I have nothing to lose, right? ;-)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom