Another reason to buy Apple

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Kristin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Bill Gates visits Canada's oil sands (equals: really bad for the environment).

2. greesha

greesha

Aug 29, 2008
    Northbrook, IL
    I have never heard of oil sands before, going to do some research.

3. dwind

dwind Guest

The US imports more oil from Canda than any other country.
    Dennis

4. that's a true, but very UNknown fact, i bet

5. The tar sands are a disaster waiting to happen. Some of the tailing ponds are so big now, they can be seen from space, and they've only begun to extract oil from there on a large scale. It will be a mess that can never be cleaned up.

6. I didn't know that! (just researched it) It's definitely not something I've heard mentioned with all the "energy-independence/foreign-security" talk going around.

What kind of oil fields does Canada have? I guess they must have easy-to-get to oil like Alaska has, in addition to these oil sands. Canada keeps surprising me - I didn't know they exported diamonds until I researched for an engagement ring.

and I know it's defeatist of me, but I'm glad I don't have kids to see the mess we're making of this planet. It depresses me. But at least Warren Buffet and Bill Gates can make a few more billions off it. [bitter sarcasm, sorry]

7. I bought my wife an Artic diamond from the Northwest territories after seeing the movie with Leonardo di Caprio about war diamonds. After some research, i found out diamonds sold through a third country don't have to tell the country of origin, thus war diamonds are filtered through countries like Russia to finance war in Africa where most of them come from. The Canadian Arctic diamonds are known for their clarity. It just felt a little better knowing i wasn't help financing some despot or crazy gang. The use of kidnapped kids in their wars is something i didn't want to help finance.
    As far as the oil sands go, it's all encased in, well, sand. It has to be heated with large amounts of natural gas to free up the thick oil. Large machines scoop up the surface sand/oil, heat it and voila, oil is left along with a lot of waste. They are basically making a sespool of northern Alberta. Large financiers are lining up to get a piece of the action.

8. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

Agent Smith to Morpheus in the first Matrix:

"I'd like to share a revelation I had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure. "

Quite a bit of truth in that!

9. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Because Bill Gates doesn't spend his money for the better of man?