Another sad story....:(

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Last February, I was at the TVA Guntersville dam, trying to get my first Eagle shots. While we were waiting for the Eagles, a GBH flew by, and suddenly hit one of the transmission lines leading out of the generators at the dam. He apparently hit the line with one of his legs, and was seriously stunned. It fell almost 30 feet before finally regaining flight stability, and then continued on, with difficulty, to a small swampy pond near the Eagle's nesting area.

I know that I'm just a soft hearted wimp, but the imprint of this event really bothered me. I was there for several more hours waiting for the Eagles, but before I left, I checked the pond where the GBH landed before leaving, but didn't see the anything. I wondered whether he survived or died from his injuries, but didn't know for sure until my recent series of visits to the dam. Now I admit that I can't be sure that this is the same guy, but I'll bet that it is. These shots not only show how badly animals fair when venturing into areas taken over by us humans, but also the strength of the survival capabilities of wild animals.

These are not the best images from a technical standpoint, but they were very inspirational to me.

Mr. Survival, with his withered leg:
    [​IMG]

You can see how he has adapted to his horrible injury, and come back strong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I for one, am gratified to see that he's still alive, and doing OK. :smile:

2. I must be a wimp too. This would really bother me too. Nice shots, sad story! I'm glad the bird seems to have found a way to cope with this unfortunate mishap.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. WOW what a trooper they are amazing with there ability to survive adversity

4. there are other descriptions that fit better than soft hearted wimp,
    caring human being comes to mind.
    Thanks for sharing this sad yet happy story.
    Dave

5. Frank your story and images are very interesting and I would guess that a bird magazine would pick them up if you submitted it to them. Thanks for sharing both the story and the images.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I can't tell you how moved I am by this guy. :smile:

Gordon, I'd submit if I knew where. Guess I need to do a little research, huh? :rolleyes:

7. Mr. Survival indeed!
    Great series and story, Frank.

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

they don't call animals tenacious for nothing !!
    and your story and images just verify it again, good work Frank.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Amazing story and captures, Frank. To just read your story is quite moving, to see the images to support the story...simply great! I also recommend finding a publication that might publish your images and account of what had happened to this bird.

10. Frank that is a great story and your pictures are fantastic. I too am very happy to see him coping with his injuries.

11. Very well said Frank and well captured and articulated! What a neat bird as I have been watching since the cafe opened pictures posted after pictures posted. I actually got to see my first one ever this past weekend on my long drive, think he is a little off course. LOL.............just post processing :smile:

12. Good pics, sad situation. If it's been nearly a year, hopefully the leg won't get gang green (sp?) and cause other problems... :frown:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Frank,
    What a wonderful story and comback for a beautiful Bird.
    Your images are top notch.

Sure sad to see any bird hurt in this way.

Contact your local Audubon..With story and VERY low rez images.

I could post to our local also if you wanted.

Another story of survival. Great Egret. He was drowning in the waters from the hurricane and a lady I work with, her son and a friend rescued him. Took him home to let him dry out and he survived. He is now out in the wild again. He was in breeding plumage with the green on the beak.

I am very glad you were able to record this. Great work Frank Congratulations.

14. A moving story Frank. Slowing but surely we humans are encroaching on the animals' habitat more and more. Glad to see your dedication to following through on this touching story. These wild animals do their best at trying to survive.

Louie

15. :Depressed :Depressed

16. Pretty neat the feller lived. Your shots are very crisp and sharp. I especially like the 2 shots of him in flight.

So he can land and take off on one foot?

Nice series and story.

17. these animals seem to adapt, cause if they dont, well you know.
    Here, there is one Sandhill with half a leg, and another with a crooked leg from a healed fracture. Sad to see that, but when you consider the alternative, it's a whole lot better.

18. Looks like he's strong enough to get around, so he can evade any predators... great shots, Frank... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this big guy that he makes it. Keep us posted if you see him again.... Such a sad story about hitting the wires :Sad: Is there any way you could contact the dam manager and have them put danglies on the lines to at least warn the birds?

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Amazing story (and images), Frank. Makes me sad and mad that we humans did this to the bird, and a combination of sadness that the bird has to face life with such a handicap and amazement at the instinct and will to live that the bird has shown.

Gordon

20. Sad story but cool shots to go with it....he looks like he is able to survive well! Nice images, thanks!