Another sad tale (Warning: Graphic Image)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Here is another example that shows how poorly man and animals sometimes interact when they occupy the same area. Janie and I went scouting five of the North Alabama Birding Trail sites last Sunday, and came upon this sad item. the string that is going out of the picture is just heavy-duty twine, tied to a tree limb, with a large hook on the end. The hook is submerged when the water levels are a little higher.

Apparently this poor guy got snagged by it. :frown:

[​IMG]

We found one other arrangement like the one that got this guy, and cut it down. Hopefully this will prevent a similar fate befalling another of these beautiful animals.

2. I've seen that at Bear Point on the other side of the shore. Fisherman in my area are pigs, leaving plastic sixpack thingy's, fishing line, chicken leg packages (they use chicken legs to catch crabs) and all sorts of garbage all over the place. Many of these things can lead to unecessary deaths like you see here. Sad, people can be so pathetic.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I couldn't have said it better Harris. Thanks.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Are these things accidental or are they put there as snares? I hope they exist as accidents, even then, I know first hand the damage to be done. I heard several weeks ago that my adopted humpback whale, Coral, was seen entangled in fishing gear. With coastal storms and the end of the commercial whale watch season, it did not seem that he would be found again this year especially considering they start their migration south in the next month. Entanglements can be fatal, if they keep the whale from breathing or feeding or even from infection. This story has a happy ending, as I just heard moments ago that he was sighted last Sunday gear-free.

5. Frank, Oh such a sad story. I always carry a knife with me, and try to retrieve fishing lines hanging from trees. I pull as much line as I can into the kayak and cut the rest. Such an irresponsible act leading to the needless death of a beautiful creature...

Baywing, glad to hear Coral has been sighted gear-free - makes my heart smile!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Sandi and Bay.

Bay, that's wonderful news about Coral. I know that you are greatly relieved. :smile:

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

My dad who was an avid outdoorsman used to take me with and I remember him commenting on the disrespect humans had for the land (40+ years ago). He taught me way back then that we always left no traces of our visits to the outdoors. I just wish every dad/mom would have taught their children the same.

I wish I could say that the west coast was better but it's not I see these same conditions and every venue :frown:

Maybe someday one of those "Alfred Hitchcock" type movies will come true and the animals will **** were we live!!! Hope I'm gone by then.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You nailed it Ben. Kind of reminds me of the Yes song 'Leave good footprints behind'. When I go to the pond and see parents encouraging their kids to chase and kick the ducks and geese it makes me so mad that I could spit. I always think to myself 'and we wonder why kids become criminals'. With upbringing like that, I don't wonder. :confused:

9. Frank,

So sad to see this. Some people are not so nice. I can't believe that no one believes in the santuary of beautiful animals on this earth.

10. It's truly sad. Putting it together with your last photo, it's an excellent and stunning photo essay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats, Frank!

(Frank, do you mind I introduce these two images (I mean links) to my bird friends?)

11. Sad to see this. We get similar situations at the duck/goose pond near us. I've seen goslings swallow fishing line, plastic bags, etc. I've seen geese with their legs tangled in fishing line, etc. Its not like it's hard to be safer and more considerate...

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not at all 3. You might want to add one or more of these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I hate seeing stuff like that so much. Its so unnecessary. Our wildlife is finite and so many just don't have any respect for our blessings.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Amen Harry. The thought of the panic and pain that this poor guy must have gone through just tears out my heart. :Sad:

15. Be Careful in Animal Rescue

A few years ago, I read about someone who tried to rescue an egret tangled in a 6-pack plastic holder. Somehow, in the process of the rescue, the bird stabbed and killed the good samaritan with it's powerful beak. Always, secure the critter first. It's best for all involved.

16. Hate to see stuff like this it is such a waste, we need to do a much better job of protecting our wild resources, each and every one of us

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Muril, Don't worry about me getting close to these guys. They scare me to death. :rolleyes:

Mike, you are so right. :Sad:

18. Frank, the more I look at this poor bird, the more it reminds me of the poor bird that Sandi was telling us about when she was following a beautiful baby Swan and was taking pictures as it grew.

My heart can't take any animal being killed including dogs cats and birds and any wildlife.