Another shot of the Cherry Blossoms...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Against the Jefferson Monument...early morning.

original.

Rich

2. Good eye, lousy light

This shot further reinforces my frustration with that Thursday morning. That early morning grayish/whitish sky.

I notice a similar phenomenon in your color balance. When my cherry blossoms were the appropriate color (as you've done an excellent job here!) there is this yellow cast all over the place.

I played with PS filters and the magic wand to no avail in working the colors appropriately.

You clearly have an astute compositional eye...but the elements of the day were frustrating.

Thanks for the photo.

Harlan

3. Rich, I too noticed the yellowish cast on the building. I really like your composition on this shot.

4. I like the colouring.... early morning light does have some yellow in it and I prefer to have that reflected in shots, no pun intended.

I too love the composition of this shot.

5. Nice shot Rich!! :) :) :)

6. Thank you all very much. Harlan, that particular stone does have a pinkish-yellowish almost translucent cast to it. This is how I recall it.

I don't use PSCS much anymore. I can't believe how much I've learned since I first started. I actually began by using color balance! Then I went to some 3rd party plug-ins, and to Levels-options....FINALLY to NC, almost giving it up until I bought HRH Ronald of Reznick's ebook. I finally got it!

Now I can pop off post-processing pictures with near-perfect white balance and neutral shadows. OOh OOh I am so great! :D

I have all (I think) of the 75 Mickey Mouses shot and will process them this week and post them on PBASE.

By the way I will be dropping out of sight for a while, sometime in the near future. I am guardian of an uncle (Ray) who is in the last days of Alzheimers. I'll have to go to Chicago to arrange things.

Rich

7. sorry to hear what you have facing you. will hope it goes as well as it can and and you can return soon.

8. "until I bought HRH Ronald of Reznick's ebook"

What does this mean?

Harlan

9. Re: "until I bought HRH Ronald of Reznick's ebook"

Ron Reznick is a renown photographer and teacher. He has an eBook which espouces a unique approach towards post processing. The technique relies less on judgement of colors, WB, etc. to manipulate the image and more on judgement of the Curves presentation on Nikon Capture of the RAW image. So it's really "technical" 'till you can competently intrepret the curve.

Until one has a feel for the technique and "sees" what is going on it is highly frustrating (and occasionally heated) however what you get through his technique is spot-on white balance and color-neutral shadows. With this you can apply third party or PSCS noise correction and sharpening.

Many of the members here at the Cafe are granduates of Ron's traveling shooting and postprocessing school and use his technique. Because of this they have kiddingly/affectionately nicknamed "His Royal Highness Ronald of Reznick."

I'm not sure how much of this you already know so I did a core dump. Ron's eBook is not cheap ($80.00, US, as I recall) but it contains the essentials of his processing technique with numerous examples.

I think that about covers the ground, as they say.

Rich

10. Thanks. Uncle Ray is alone...all his siblings and wife are gone. He's comfortable and under excellent care. I hope he passes without any suffering.

Rich

11. Okay

I have Reznick's book, just didn't know the HRH... stuff.

Harlan