Another studio shot for comments

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Please give my your opinions on this one, thnx.

original.

Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 70 mm
    Exposure Time 1/100 sec
    Aperture f/4.5
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode center weighted (2)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program manual

2. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    I like it a lot.
    I don't do a lot of people shots so maybe you can help a bit with a couple of questions.

1 I have always been told not to let an arm be straight, but I like the way it looks

2 what was the light setup for this I like a lot.

3 love the head tilt just draws me to the eyes.

3. The lighting looks good to me.

I think it would have better if her body was turned more toward the camera. As it with her shoulder pointed directly at the camera the hot spot on her shoulder draws attention away from her face, which should be the center of interest.

4. Well Steve, since you asked here goes. I think the camera angle is too high making her teeth look like they overlap her bottom lip. It also emphasises her cheeks too much. This would work on a younger model but for a young lady wanting to look like an adult it gives her too much of a little girl look. The camera angle would work for a pouty look but does not come off for a full smile. Your model is quite pretty and with a different pose I feel that beauty would would shine. Your lighting is quite nice except for what it does to her cheeks. Of course take all of this with a grain of salt since it is just my opinion.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for the input Tim

Selecting any decent & appropriate standing poses was a real challenge for me.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Willy, I agree

We were trying to duplicate a shot I saw a model do, but not so successfully.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Gordon got some more pics for comments

I will have to disagree about the camera position being too high. It was nearly exactly at her eye level. That's just the way she was smiling. This girl is extremely shy, but did warm up after a while. Her face is a bit round, and I didn't do anything to offset that. Tried to do short light on some of these, but failed for the most part. I still don't know what I'm doing.
    This next series of shots are "almost hits". The 1st one misses only 'cause of the smile?
    original.

This next one wasn't lit properly, and the strobe wasn't placed high enough, and was too far camera left?
    View attachment 10498

This one is not bad, but I'd like to hear what others have to say about all 3 of these.
    View attachment 10499

8. Re: Thanks Gordon got some more pics for comments

I see what you mean about her smile after looking at the first one in this series. I really like #2 and #3 here.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Chiming in a bit late here but on the original I like the position of her head but wish her body was turned slightly more at an angle rather than in profile.

Of the 3 new shots, the first one has great lighting and would be really good except for the smile.

The second shot the lighting is more dramatic (higher ratio) but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Maybe a little more fill would have helped but it's still a good shot.

The last shot is the best of the bunch. Good lighting, good pose, interesting expression. If I were to nitpick maybe a little less headroom and a little more at the bottom of the frame would have been preferable but this is a really good shot. Crop it for 8x10 and I think it's a winner.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for your thoghts, Jeff

I really should used full power modeling lights instead of the tracking feature, which dimmed them way down. Also, should'a payed more attention to the height of the main, the only light, since that nose shadow really bugs my in the 2nd here. The last one could have some cropped off the top, but there's no more frame to add at the bottom. We'll see what they all have to say when they review the proofs. Hey, we can always do a reshoot, since this is pro bono for my houskeeper. That's her daughter in the pics.