Another trip to the Rose Garden

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Was visiting Leu Gardens again and managed to get these shots of some beautiful and some unusual roses. Hope you enjoy...

A yellow rose
    [​IMG]

A very unusual pink and white rose
    [​IMG]

A white rose
    [​IMG]

A rose that looks like a porcelain rose of my wife's
    [​IMG]

A very intense orange rose
    [​IMG]

And another yellow rose
    [​IMG]

Comments and feedback welcome! Thanks for looking.

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Kevin:

These are beautiful, my favorite flower. The pink and white rose sure is unusual, never saw anything like it. Really nice work with the white rose, did you spot meter on that? The yellow roses turned out great...my D70 has a tendency to blow the reds and yellows and I end up doing a fair amount of PP to recover them. And my favorite is the porcelain looking rose.....perfectly composed and exposed.

Thank you for posting these.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kev,

Of course we enjoy; how could we not. :wink:

The are museum quality. I hope that you have printed and framed at least a few. 8)

4. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    Kevin great shots my favorite is the one looks like a porcelain rose,
    Wonderful color and the stamen's and pollen stand out nicely.
    Frank is right on his comment "museum quality."

Neil

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful...
    I am not looking any more..I am jealous....

:>))))))))

6. Excellent Keving very nicely done. I love shootign roses the other day at Longwood they were all pruned back so didnt get a chance to shoot

7. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for the kind words! On the white rose, I had to go back and check my exif. I've been shooting alot in manual lately and assumed these were too. But they were actually shot in A mode using Center Weighted Average. I like shooting these manual. It takes a little more effort to get it right but once it is you can just keep shooting and not worry about the settings. I usually try to memorize the settings for the whites, yellows, and reds then I'm basically set for hours of shooting. :)

8. Thanks Frank and Neil for the compliment! I don't know about Museum quality but I was happy with them.

9. Gale ~ lol. I like it when you look. You shoot straight from the hip. One of your first critiques you ever gave me haunts me still each time I pp a shot! ;)

10. Hi Mike. I love shooting any kind of flower. I've taken a bazilion rose shots but never really were happy with them. Now since I've gotten into dSLRs and have been really studying the past year or so, I'm amazed at how the majority of my shots have become satisfying for me. I guess it means I'm learning, applying and improving. Still would like to get the "look" of your photos~long way to go for me yet.

Thanks for looking and the kind words. It means alot! :)

11. Very nice compositions Kevin.

12. Hi Gilles, thanks for commenting on the composition. I've been really trying to pay attention to that aspect of photography. Glad it's being noticed. :)

13. wow, they are so beautiful. I love them.

14. Thanks, Vinh! I've got to get over to your side of the state one of these days. Maybe we can hook up and shoot together!